1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Do I need a new crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the sensor goes into the distributor assembly, but i have never heard of replacing the whole assembly just because of the sensor being bad, that seems like a waste of effort to me

Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
fpt2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it seems like a waste of effort but you make decisions based on your own situation. I called the Dodge dealership because I also questioned replacing the whole cam assembly. I have replaced crank sensors on vehicles before but they were only idling rough, never just shutting off.

I have a kid and wife that drive the truck and I was not about to experiment with replacing one part at a time to decide what was and wasnt needed. If it was just me driving it and/or I didnt depend on it for transportation, I probably would have started with just the cam sensor. All said and done, the extra cost was about the same as calling a wrecker and I am not worrying about the truck shutting off.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM
RacerX0736

I had the same exact problem all the scenarios you stated also except the 50 mph thing but mine would do it at any given speed. I have a 1996 dodge ram with a 5.9. Rebuilt the whole front end then a month later this started to happen narrowed it down to the Crankshaft position sensor tonight and was like what the hell. So i took my truck to my shop an changed it out real quick and it drove home fine.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
kvstuts2

I know its been a while since I've updated anything thing on this issue but just wanted to let everyone know that a $25.00 Crankshaft Position Sensor from AutoZone and about 10 minutes (and half of that was getting it up on ramps) solved all of my problems! no stutter, no stalling, no issues at all. There is a definite difference in power and fuel economy as well. I don't know if this fix will work for everyone having similar issues but if any of the problems I describe are going on with your vehicle I would say this is a great place to start. Its a beginners mechanics job and only cost a few bucks to do. My only regret is I didn't try this sooner and save myself a lot of headache and frustration. Thank you to everyone with something helpful to add to this thread as well!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Durango5.2
Amateur

Pay real close attention to what i am about to tell you!
I too am coming across the same problems, my engine will stall at red lights, i replaced my air control valve but i am still having problems, heres where to look, under your transmission after dropping the pan, at the valve body are shifts solenoids 1st gen dodge durangos have a common shiftting problem, your transmission is electronicly controlled by solenoids and sensors that help determine when to shift, if that fails it may trigger your automatic shutdown relay (found in your fuse box in your engine compartment) i know from experience because my durango is giving me headaches, u may have to replace your shift and lockup solenoid

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
RacerX0736
Default Truck Stalling.

Try taking it to a dealer my truck started to stall again after i changed the Crank sensor. Found out that the Computer needed to be reflashed that it had never gotten. Alot of our trucks ran fine with out the flash but ever since i Unplugged my entire wire harness the computer reset for sitting for 3 months and needed the flash. Plus when it was reflashed the msd coil i had was drawing to much current. Ever since the flash I have not had my truck stall.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
RacerX0736
Default Stalling

Along with the shift solenoid post that Durango 5.2 just stated some people have a hard time shifting or are stuck in 3rd gear. I had this problem as well when I unplugged the harness Pulling the harness I probably unpluged the main plug going into the trans to hard and it made a bad connection in the plug so the trans wasnt getting the right voltage to tell the solenoids when to shift. Stuff gets old gotta be careful with it.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new crankshaft position sensor