1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98' 5.9 SLT - Not going into gear all the way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Lukep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' 5.9 SLT - Not going into gear all the way?

Hey all,

Long time reader and decided to join up as searching wasn't confirming my suspicions. Anyway the truck is 98 5.9 SLT 4x4 with 3.92 gears, I believe this is a 46RE trans? It runs great and has plenty of power, I enjoy it quite a bit.

A few months ago, my front diff blew out. I took care of it but the driveshaft smacked the crap out of the downpipe from the manifold. Nothing else seemed to be affected. Fast forward a few months and I'm having an issue with getting the truck into gear. I don't know if its related to my past failure since my shifter linkage looks OK.

It won't hold fully in park, won't go into reverse (only makes a light grinding noise), and goes in D and the lower gears but only stays in gear under load. When I let off the gas it grinds a bit and falls out of gear, going back in when I give it throttle. It hold fine and doesn't slip when under load.

The kicker is, when I put it into 4L, it will grab reverse with a big clunk and reverse fine.

Any input is appreciated. Does this sound like an internal issue? Linkage issue? Band issue? Does the t-case affect RWD mode operation at all?

Thanks!

-Luke

Last edited by Lukep; 06-11-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukep
Hey all,

Long time reader and decided to join up as searching wasn't confirming my suspicions. Anyway the truck is 98 5.9 SLT 4x4 with 3.92 gears, I believe this is a 46RE trans? It runs great and has plenty of power, I enjoy it quite a bit.

A few months ago, my front diff blew out. I took care of it but the driveshaft smacked the crap out of the downpipe from the manifold. Nothing else seemed to be affected. Fast forward a few months and I'm having an issue with getting the truck into gear. I don't know if its related to my past failure since my shifter linkage looks OK.

It won't hold fully in park, won't go into reverse (only makes a light grinding noise), and goes in D and the lower gears but only stays in gear under load. When I let off the gas it grinds a bit and falls out of gear, going back in when I give it throttle. It hold fine and doesn't slip when under load.

The kicker is, when I put it into 4L, it will grab reverse with a big clunk and reverse fine.

Any input is appreciated. Does this sound like an internal issue? Linkage issue? Band issue? Does the t-case affect RWD mode operation at all?

Thanks!

-Luke

When was it last serviced, i.e. a new filter, fluid (atf+4) and band adjusted?

Is it at the proper fluid level?

It is possible that the linkage looks ok but got bumped a little off, also possible that the TV cable stretched and need adjusted (not likely tho but a thought)

they are just some thoughts that come to mind... Hopefully user "Mastertech" will chime in here, he is are resident tranny guru

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

since it works in 4lo i ahve to ask if it works in 4hi? and what is the other t-case option 2wd or awd? (my guess is 2wd) i would check out the t-case if everything works right while in certain selections but not others.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Lukep

Originally Posted by Old_School
When was it last serviced, i.e. a new filter, fluid (atf+4) and band adjusted?

Is it at the proper fluid level?

It is possible that the linkage looks ok but got bumped a little off, also possible that the TV cable stretched and need adjusted (not likely tho but a thought)

they are just some thoughts that come to mind... Hopefully user "Mastertech" will chime in here, he is are resident tranny guru
New filter/fluid was about 25k ago by the previous owner. I've put just over 15k on it. The fluid level and color looks good. It has 160k on the chassis and 60k on this trans.

I don't think the bands were adjusted. How can I check the linkage and TV cable? I recall it sometimes not lining up to shift into "D" easily but it never had this issue...

I've seen some posts from Mastertech, they looked helpful but I couldn't pinpoint my issue with his feedback, so also hoping he chimes in!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Lukep

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
since it works in 4lo i ahve to ask if it works in 4hi? and what is the other t-case option 2wd or awd? (my guess is 2wd) i would check out the t-case if everything works right while in certain selections but not others.
Its not an AWD, its the NV242HD I believe.

It does not work in 4hi. Since its load dependent when going forwards (only goes into gear when on the throttle, kicks out when off throttle) I am thinking putting it in 4L puts enough load to get the gear to engage? Purely speculation but it makes sense in my head...

Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
CHECK
(1) Turn ignition key to OFF position.
(2) Remove air cleaner.
(3) Verify that throttle body lever is at curb idle
position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever
(Fig. 248) is also at idle (full forward) position.
(4) Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body
lever (Fig. 248).
(5) Compare position of cable end to attachment
stud on throttle body lever:
(a) Cable end and attachment stud should be
aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1
mm (0.039 in.) in either direction.
(b) If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned
(off center), cable will have to be adjusted
as described in following procedure.
(6) Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then
with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission
throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
(a) If both levers move simultaneously from idle
to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment
is correct.
(b) If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of,
or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment
will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents
transmission lever from returning to closed
position, cable adjustment will be necessary.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Lukep

Looked into it, seemed OK as far as I could tell.

The reverse is back and working now, however engages with a clunk. It also holds in park and stays in gear while cruising (no more dropping into neutral off throttle.)

I'm puzzled. I'm sure the issue will come back but I'm not sure how to chase it to prevent damage.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Lukep

Any more input from anyone? I drove it today and reverse worked, but its still making me nervous.

Quick Reply: 98' 5.9 SLT - Not going into gear all the way?