1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

lower shackle bolt ceased in leaf spring sleve!! t/s lift dream shot down.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower shackle bolt ceased in leaf spring sleve!! t/s lift dream shot down.

ok so my fears of the torsion bolts not moving were incorrect. i got the eight turns out of both of em. great! so i moved to the back jacked the truck up set stands up on the frame. got my crank jack set up between the leaf spring and the frame, applied tension and took both top bolts out easy.
Moved to the lower bolts. got the nut off, but what do you know. the bolt is rusted inside the sleve of the leaf spring.
My lifted dreams died!
tried heating em up and tried twisting them loose, used an impact gun on em and they wont budge. broke not 1 but 2 of my 10mm sockets trying to get em loose.
so i had to put the bolts back in the top. tighten them down. and move everything back up front and lower the torsion bolt back to stock height.
nothing ever goes right with this truck. im getting depressed.
My wedding is next week and were doing an off road mud adventure next to the swamp behind my parents house after the wedding, befor the reception. and im affraid im going to have to call everyone and cancel.
i really want to get this t/s lift done so i can go forward with the muddin planns.
can anyone give me any inteligent info on how to remove the darn bolt without melting the rubber around the sleve on the leaf spring.
i got about a week to get this done.
I NEED HELP!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM
tank99Dango
Professional

Might be a dumb question, did you try pb blaster? I had some rubber sway bar bushings on my 01dime grand prix that had seized together, i used a 4 ft breaker..no budge. I sprayed about a half can, waited a half hour and it worked. I would spray pb blaster all over that bushing, then drive it, come home and spray it again. Drive it again...and try bumpy roads, something that will flex the leaf springs...

Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

Also, on top of the PB Blaster recommendation, are you using regular sockets or impact sockets? The impact sockets are usually stronger grade steel, just be careful not to strip the bolt head.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
hobbyart17
Amateur

+1 above when you use heat the rubber actually starts to melt and you may have alreadt messed it up. But you should be able to go to the parts store and get new rubber inserts for cheap i dpnt know how cheap tho the other thing you could do is take an impact gun and vibrate the **** out of the bolt
pb blaster or liquid wrench works great

Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a air chisel.... itll work out

Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

PB blaster and a BFH worked for me

Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by topdogcustoms
PB blaster and a BFH worked for me
I second that. Use a breaker bar after the PB blaster and turn it to work it in. Then bring out the BFH and give it hell. You may have to turn and hit at the same time.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i actuially used both pb blaster and penatrating oil on it and yes i only use impact sockets with my impact wrench. but i tried like heck to get em out but it was a no go. so i went to advance auto and had to order a set of moog leaf spring bushings. so wednesday at 3 they will be in. and i will be able to follow thru with my planns for after the wedding.
and as odd as it may seem to most of you out there, my feonce was the one who wanted to do this. lol. we will be taking back trails made for snow mobiles that cross thru my parents back 100 acres to the reception. so it should be fun.
as always everyone thanks for your input. and ill try to see about posting some pictures of our venture. PCE!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
jmess
Veteran

I used almost a full can of on blazer on my lower bolts as well as the BFH everyone else seems to use and an air chisel. The vibration made the blaser penetrate really well

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

ok so all attempts failed at removing those darn bolts on friday. i ended up having to get my d towed to a garage to get the shakle bushings replaced. i cut the bolt ends off to get the shackle off and i had bought a set of cobalt drill bits and broke 5 trying to drill the bolt out. so i got my air chizle out and got the punch set up on it and i swear i was out there in the blazing sun for about 5 hours trying to beat out that 1 bolt. i got tired of sweating my butt off and i ran out of time. i had to go to my wedding rehersal. i used a few cans of pb plaster and penitrating oil, with no luck.
i thoughyt to my self wow. every thing i do to this truck always ends up kicking my butt!! but im over it.
so needless to say i am once again without a vehicle for a few days untill it gets out of the repair shop.
but thanks for trying to help guys. lol.

Quick Reply: lower shackle bolt ceased in leaf spring sleve!! t/s lift dream shot down.