1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Best positon to put it in

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best positon to put it in

So I am having a debate with a few friends, just a friendly debate. I am Running my 99 D, others are Running a 2.5L Jeep Wrangler, and a Chevy Vortec Crap (actually is a decent motor).

The question is, which is better to run in the sand with? We are talking soft sand, Now none of us have gotten stuck in any position, but we are wondering which is easier on the Transmission. I run in 4-Part Time (or Full time) which ever is for Soft and Hard ground..or 4lo..Which is easier on the tranny?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
srch4me
All Star

I would think 4 hi because its for higher speeds. Sand is about speed not low end torque if I recall. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Speed limit is 15mph...So no need for speed lol, I use 4Lo when I pull someone out, which btw did happen lol Pulled a Ford Excursion out

Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you should be using 4wd part time (this should NOT be used on hard surfaces) as this will give you more traction, none of them will strain the trans because sand gives so easily that driveline bind (the cause of the mentioned strain) wont be able to build up.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
srch4me
All Star

Yeah I'd only use 4 lo for puling people out

Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah 4hi for sand. I have used 4lo in deep snow, deep mud (not racing the tires), pulling out fords and chevys (havent had to pull a dodge yet, hmmm), and climbing steep grades off-road for extended periods of time.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2wd in 90% desert works. 4hi in sandbowl in Parker,AZ worked well. Yanking Chevy diesel out of sand truck kind kicked out of 4lo. Computer said no too much tourqe. Low for rocks and down hill speed. I run 35" bfg at and they handle all but nasty mud.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with sharp using 4 wheel drive part time. And when pulling someone out, then use 4 low.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i got a question to add to this thread if you dont mind? my d is a 98 and for all i know so far my truck is either in 4 wheel or its not. i dont beleive i have part time. heck i dont even have a light that turns on when i engage the 4 wheel. and i got a lever for the 4 wheel not a turn *** or push button.
so my question is if my light doesnt turn on showing that my 4 wheel is engaged. does that mean somethings wrong with it?
or because my d is a 1st gen 1st year model do i not have part time 4 wheel so my light wouldnt even turn on?
or am i just dumb and not doing something right? even though i know my 4 wheel works cuz i have used it alot?
or is 4high actuially part time and i just dont have a light that turns on?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by krupaeric
ok i got a question to add to this thread if you dont mind? my d is a 98 and for all i know so far my truck is either in 4 wheel or its not. i dont beleive i have part time. heck i dont even have a light that turns on when i engage the 4 wheel. and i got a lever for the 4 wheel not a turn *** or push button.
so my question is if my light doesnt turn on showing that my 4 wheel is engaged. does that mean somethings wrong with it?
or because my d is a 1st gen 1st year model do i not have part time 4 wheel so my light wouldnt even turn on?
or am i just dumb and not doing something right? even though i know my 4 wheel works cuz i have used it alot?
or is 4high actuially part time and i just dont have a light that turns on?
It should be a level to go to 4 hi 2 hi neutral our 4 low. Check the dash light. It might be burnt out. To check if 4x4 is engaged go to a gravel lot put it in 4 hi and crank the wheel and do a circle. You should feel it buck a bit trying to turn

Quick Reply: Best positon to put it in