1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Infinity speaker woes. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so I was looking around the car and it looks like there is a removable panel where the componet speakers go. Do I have to remove the whole door panel or is there another piece that comes off?

I found some JBL 628s that will work, and they are $45 a pair.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the whole door panel comes off to get at the speakers, be careful to release the bars for the locks and door handles before you let go of the panel or you run the risk of bending them

Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the whole door panel comes off to get at the speakers, be careful to release the bars for the locks and door handles before you let go of the panel or you run the risk of bending them
Okay. I decided against the JBLs as they werent a component type speaker, but am now looking at the super cheap route and considering walmart speakers. I just need something thats comparable to OEM sound without the $160 each of the Infinity junk we have. So I only have a few questions still:

1. What's the peak power of the infinity 8 speaker system?
2. What fits better, a 6.5" or 6.75"?
3. Whats the best bang for the buck?

Again, im not looking for blow my windows out power, but something I can actually listen to music with and enjoy it.

I know this is probably a repetitive question but I want to get this right. I'm sure you've seen my other posts about making modifications to anything. I want to make sure I know all there is to know.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon. Picked up MB quarts for under $100 more Watts than they are rated for but tweets have two settings

Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moparman, if you want to keep the Infinity brand name. Ebay is selling new Infinity reference 6.5 inch speakers $20 ea.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2709924...Types&var=sbar

Description of Infinity Reference 6032CF

Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speaker

Technical Details

•6-1/2-inch two-way loudspeaker with 180 Watts peak power handling and 2 Ohm impedance
•Plus One woofer cones and durable rubber surrounds for increased bass output and higher efficiency
•Edge-driven textile dome tweeters for increased power handling and reduced distortion at high output levels
•Tweeter level adjustment and swivel positioning for optimizing sound and stereo image

Infinity 6032cf Features

Plus One woofer cones
This patent pending technology deliver a cone with more surface area than competing models of the same size. The result is increased bass output and higher efficiency.

True Four Ohms
All Reference speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance "seen" by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Reference Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

Edge-driven textile dome tweeters
These are not commonly used w-domes, but fully-edge-driven domes like those found in better home audio speakers. The benefit is increased power handling and reduced distortion at high output levels. This technology also allows for better integration with the mid/woofer.

Unipivot
Infinity's Unipivot (patent no. 6,002,780) allows the tweeter to be pointed at the listener's location even when the speaker is mounted off axis. This optimizes the stereo image and ensures a more uniform response.

Tweeter level adjustment
The 6032cf also features a tweeter level adjustment located on the front of the speaker and can be set at the reference level of 0dB. If the speakers are located low in the doors or if you are looking for a brighter sound, set the tweeter at +3dB

Rubber surrounds
This material provides optimum cone-edge suspension and absorbs distortions that may travel up the cone edge, adding stronger low-end.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

If I buy speakers with a tweeter built in, then id have 8 tweeters, am I correct? The infinity system already has separate tweeters.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moparman, If you have the infinity system, the fronts are components. When my speakerfoam went out on the bass component speaker, I just replaced that oem component speaker with my 2 way Infinity reference 6012i speakers. So basically I have one extra speaker (tweeter) on the front doors.

If you are counting, I went from 8 speakers total to 10 speakers total now. 6 speakers total on front doors and 4 speakers on rear doors.

to make your installation painless and quick, go to this site and buy this item. http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK011. The cost is only $9.99 a pair for the 6.5 inch speakers. You may want to purchase 2 pairs so you can use these to replace the speakers in the rear when the time comes to replace them.

Using these aftermarket brackets, you do not have to do any retrofitting and damage any of your OEM parts. Just a perfect fit and mount. I bought the same brackets for my Durango and it works great.

I would love to buy the 6032CF speakers as they are 2 ohm speakers vs my 6012i at 4 ohm. The Infinity system uses 2 ohm load. But you can use speakers with higher ohm ratings but cannot use speakers with ohm ratings less than what the system is designed for.

For now, my 6012i speakers still rock solid without any issues.

Last edited by Kensai; 07-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Kensai
Moparman, If you have the infinity system, the fronts are components. When my speakerfoam went out on the bass component speaker, I just replaced that oem component speaker with my 2 way Infinity reference 6012i speakers. So basically I have one extra speaker (tweeter) on the front doors.

If you are counting, I went from 8 speakers total to 10 speakers total now. 6 speakers total on front doors and 4 speakers on rear doors.

to make your installation painless and quick, go to this site and buy this item. http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK011. The cost is only $9.99 a pair for the 6.5 inch speakers. You may want to purchase 2 pairs so you can use these to replace the speakers in the rear when the time comes to replace them.

Using these aftermarket brackets, you do not have to do any retrofitting and damage any of your OEM parts. Just a perfect fit and mount. I bought the same brackets for my Durango and it works great.

I would love to buy the 6032CF speakers as they are 2 ohm speakers vs my 6012i at 4 ohm. The Infinity system uses 2 ohm load. But you can use speakers with higher ohm ratings but cannot use speakers with ohm ratings less than what the system is designed for.

For now, my 6012i speakers still rock solid without any issues.
If only the fronts are components, then explain why I have separate tweeters in the back.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

he never said only the fronts are components, he said the started with 8 speakers (2 in each door) and went to 10 (3 in each front door, 2 in each rear door).

Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Kensai
Moparman, If you have the infinity system, the fronts are components.
I know it wasn't directly said, but sure seemed like thats what he was getting at.

7-25 @ 5pm Central

I took out my drivers rear speaker to see what it was all about, and sure enough its only the foam surround. Either way, i'll be getting new speakers. Will any 6.5" component work okay? does it matter if I get a 300W speaker to replace these with, knowing that our head units don't put that kind of power out, or will it sound like s**t?

Please be patient with me as I want to make sure I have a game plan. I really appreciate the help so far guys!

Thanks.

Last edited by MoparMan1991; 07-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Infinity speaker woes. . .