1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4x4 & O/D Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 & O/D Q's

I have the 98 5.2 ltr D w/4x4 but the indacator lights are busted they say part time 4x4 and 4x4 neither work how do I know when im in either and if either actually work?Als o is it better tone in or out of Over drive cuz Idk

Ps it seems to shift much better out of od but my boss says "its a gas saver" (od)

Last edited by My1stDurango; 08-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Change the bulb. It will be 4wd part time with the 231 transfer. Hi lo 2wd. Engage 4hi turn truck in tight turn and the tires should churp as they want to grab. Tow with od off!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by My1stDurango
I have the 98 5.2 ltr D w/4x4 but the indacator lights are busted they say part time 4x4 and 4x4 neither work how do I know when im in either
in order to test 4x4 simply shift into gear and try to turn (as stated above) if the truck slows down and stops or chirps the tires as you push the gas to keep it turning you are in 4x4 part time. you may not need both lights depending on which transfer case you have in the truck. what does the shift pattern listed on the top of the 4x4 shift lever say on it?

and if either actually work?Als o is it better tone in or out of Over drive cuz Idk

Ps it seems to shift much better out of od but my boss says "its a gas saver" (od)
as for driving with OD:

under normal driving (empty or passengers only, no trailer) you can drive either way, will not hurt the transmission, turning OD off while under 45 or so will stop the truck from shifting into 4th gear prematurly, make sure to turn it off on the highway in order to save fuel (OD only saves fuel at highway speeds).

when towing keep OD OFF in order to save the transmission from overheating by constantly shifting in and out of OD as you go along.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Thanks for the replys guys, first ill say the shifter says 2H-4H-N-4L.

Second my D will usiualy chirp around a corner also pop and make a buckeling feeling/sound most recently an odd noise I can't describe while reversing. And turning other than this stuff and a squeeling sound when i turn hard and an alignment that needs to be done Im quite happywith my D

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you will only have one of the two 4x4 lights in your truck (they used the same dashboard in the trucks which had the full time t-case which is why the second light is there).

as for chirping around a corner that could be a few things, but do the test that i described above and let us know what the results are. if it does this while the shifter is in 2wd and it is behaving as if it were in 4wd then your tcase isnt disengaging properly you will need to find an empty parking lot to back up in, while backing up turn the wheel, the idea is to release axle bind and allow the gears to unlock

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just for ref... if you did have a full-time transfer case you would have a **** that looks like this----> Name:  4X4knob.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  21.5 KB

Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old_School
just for ref... if you did have a full-time transfer case you would have a **** that looks like this---->
So basicly I have part time 4wd?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
you will only have one of the two 4x4 lights in your truck (they used the same dashboard in the trucks which had the full time t-case which is why the second light is there).

as for chirping around a corner that could be a few things, but do the test that i described above and let us know what the results are. if it does this while the shifter is in 2wd and it is behaving as if it were in 4wd then your tcase isnt disengaging properly you will need to find an empty parking lot to back up in, while backing up turn the wheel, the idea is to release axle bind and allow the gears to unlock
Thanks ill do this in the am before work, luckily theres a large parking lot across the st

Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yes you have part time 4x4 which means you should only be using 4wd in low traction situations such as snow, gravel, mud sand ect, not on dry pavement.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
My1stDurango
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
yes you have part time 4x4 which means you should only be using 4wd in low traction situations such as snow, gravel, mud sand ect, not on dry pavement.
That's what I thought I wouldn't use it unless I needed too anyhow. This morning I did that test in 2w it did slow down like and buck but its hard to tell about the chirp my power stearing squeals when turned all the way to either side not too loud tho. Im told this is normal due to the stress of the tight turns. Also I turned in reverse at caring speeds in both directions ill do this again after work and see if there's a difference. If the transfer case isn't disengaging 4w properly will the dash light stay on? I ask this because ill be changing the bulb today