1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Growling sound when turning sharp.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Maxed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Growling sound when turning sharp.

I found and fixed the left front inner fender rubbing against the tire and stopped some of the growling sound. The entire front end has been rebuilt. Nothing is loose up front. The sound is definitely from the front end and you can only hear it inside with windows up. Cannot hear a thing from outside and nothing else is rubbing. I have checked to make certain the torsion bars are adjusted properly. Tires wear quite well. Its only a sharp turn to the right or left that I can hear this sound as does my wife. Other then the inner fenderwell which has been fixed I have found no signs of rubbing and I am now at a point that I need some assistance from yall. Ideas?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be the tight radius of the Durango and it just being the tires rubbing (ripping) on the asphalt, or a CV. Also check your front end oil level.

Also ensure you are NOT in 4X4.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

I have 32in tires on mine, and at full lock the tires will rub a little which makes a sound like that, only right at full lock though, back off a tiny bit and it won't do it.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Maxed

Cv shafts have just been replace less then 10k ago. I jacked it up and checked for any play on everything. Could it be the limited slip rear axle transmitting noise to the front? I'm totally baffled here gang.

Quick Reply: Growling sound when turning sharp.