1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission won't shift into first, everything les ok. Help I'm lost.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Rshosted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't shift into first, everything les ok. Help I'm lost.

Ok, my girlfriends transmission is not working right. It is a 99 dodge durango with the 5.2 auto trans. It is NOT throwing any codes. It is starting out in third, but I can shift down into second, but not first. It is using the overdrive without problem. The vehicle has 190k miles.

So far I tried replacing the trans output speed sensor (trying cheapest easiest first). No change.

I also climbed under looking for an 8 pin trans harness, but can not for the life of me find it. Any help there would be great too. I found a harness on top of the frame on the drivers side, right next to the firewall. When i disco that they truck would not run, I'm assuming it was not the correct plug I have read about here.

My history is I have a big garage with a lift and tranny jack, but very little mechanic experience (I Bought the house from a mechanic)

The tranny fluid was changed about 40k ago by the factory. It does look a little dirty and doesn't smell burned. The vehicle doesnt tow and it basically to take the kids to school and run errands.

Any advise on test procedures or directions to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Rshosted

Update, it finally threw two codes 1756 and 0463. The 0463 is a gas guage codes which the gas guage has been acting up for some time, no worrie. The 1756 looks like it needs the governed solenoid replaced.

And this is a 98 Durango, my mistake.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Replace the governor soleniod and transducer.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM
TCR_VA

I'VE GOT THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!

But I found the solution (with how-to videos and links to parts)!

See thread - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...tandstill.html

Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Rshosted

Thank you both for your help. Should I consider replacing the lock up and overdrive solenoid while in there? I've already ordered a Govener solenoid and Transducer for the 98.

I'll pick up a new gasket and filter/oil locally when I get the ordered solenoids.

Also, master tech, I was wondering if I should adjust the bands while in there? I'm a little afraid to Change anything before I get it fixed as I know in a lot of things when one makes many changes it's harder to know which helped and that might have made something else start having a problem.... ?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wouldn't touch the 3/4 shift solenoid (AKA) lock up solenoid. And yes i would adjust the bands if needed. If you need help adjusting the bands let me know. I adjust them without using a torque wrench.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Rshosted

Roger that, leving 3/4 solenoid alone. Now, now how do I verify which trans is in my 98 5.2 4x4 Durango? I'd like to adjust the bands while in there (never done that before either). This should be a big learning curve for me.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the 5.2 came with the 44re unless it was swapped by the previous owner that is what you will have in there

Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Or you can send me a pm with the last 9 of the vin. And i'll send you the information thru your pm.

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift into first, everything les ok. Help I'm lost.