1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

abs,brake light ,check engine light on and speedometer not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
CHUD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs,brake light ,check engine light on and speedometer not work

i have a big problem.my 99 durango was working fine until today.daughter took it to work and when she started it up to come home the brake light and abs light came on and the speedometer would not work.now the check engine light is on and i have no idea what could have happened other than letting her drive my baby.it only has 80,000 miles on it .any help would be great before i have to shell out a couple of hundred to find and fix the problem.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You would need to get the codes and post for both the check engine light code and the ABS code. I can guess that the ouput sensor on the transmission is your speedometer being inop and the rear ABS sensor on the rear diff is causing the light to come on, But those are just guess's. The what if's are maybe an open wire at both sensor's, The ABS module has a problem or the Ring gear on the rear carrier has been damage. Or you can just throw two sensor's at the trans and rear diff.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
DaveKDEN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be the rear speed sensor or the ABS module. I replaced my rss to try to fix an "ABS and park brake light on" issue. Ended up having to refurbish my ABS module to finally fix the problem. Sent the ABS module to module masters (modulemaster.com). They rebuilt it for $130.00 + shipping. Everything works like a champ now.

Quick Reply: abs,brake light ,check engine light on and speedometer not work