1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

how do o2 sensors work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok don't hate on me if this sounds stupid. But as a last resort option couldn't you get, our make, an x pipe and put the o2 sensor smack dab in the middle of the x? If i recall correctly all the x pipe really does is mix the exhaust pulses to get rid of the cackly true dual sound. With a big enough x you wouldn't be restricting the exhaust that much correct?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 AM
cummingetit
Professional

If that would work I'd say it would HAVE to be an x and not just a crossover. With the straight pipe connecting the 2 i would think it would get random readings but with both sides mixing equally in an x i think it would give a more accurate reading

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the X pipe would very likely work just fine (however not true duals then) for the pre cat sensor, and then the post can can be in either pipe w/o any issues, its only there to test emissions anyway

Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i was thinking, what if i found o2 sensors for a 2.6ltr, got 2 sets of them and pigtailed them together. the o2 sensors wired together would send out a voltage signal close to if not exactly what the 5.2 or 5.9 would need. like on each pipe i put a set of sensors, pre and after.
would that possibly work?
and im just throwing that out there.
whatever i end up doing its going to be what the consensus votes as the best idea.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no because the oxygen sensors dont measure volume, they only measure composition, and then the highest voltage is the one that the PCM would read, and the excess would backfeed into the sensor which has the lower reading, most likely ruining that sensor, there is no plug and play method for setting it up with 2 pre cat oxygen sensors.

i will also add that even a brand new motor doesnt run perfectly that is why the oxygen sensors are there to monitor it and adjust the a/f mixture for the best compromise of power and efficiency

Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

alright, it was just a thought. but im guessing im going to have to go with a dual 2.5" in to a 5" collector with the o2 sensor then back out to a dual 2.5" out and do the same after the cats then back out to 2 mufflers.
and i was wondering if its a good idea to locate the 2 mufflers in the rear end of the truck right befor the bumper due to needing the space under the passenger side for the dual tubes.
if this works...
which hopefully it does. it will be awesome!!!!! and it will sound awesome also!!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the size you will need to maintain flow is easy to calculate, and its not linear (you cant simply say i want 2.5in pipe off each side so to combine them i need 5in, not that simple)

the calculation is based on cross sectional area of the pipe, (pipe is circular in our situation)
soo area =pi*r^2

or in this situation 2.5/2=1.25 so area = pi*1.25*1.25=4.91 sq inches (yes i rounded)

now to maintain the same exhaust speed (close enough to flow rate for this exercise) you need to maintain the cross sectional area (shape has some effect, but for this exercise can be neglected), so you want to combine the two sides w/o adding restriction, that means that flow rate should simply double when the pipes come together. flow rate is equal to cross sectional area* flow velocity, flow rate doubles so assuming the flow velocity is constant you have

flow rate = area * velocity
2*flow rate = area*velocity*X solve for x simple here, its 2

something needs to increase to allow for that extra flow, in our case the area will go up since you are combining two pipes this makes sense.

going back to above the area of 1 pipe is 4.91sq inches, so the new pipe needs to be double that, or 9.82 sq inches.

so back to area

9.82=pi*r^2 solve for r
3.125=r^2
r=1.77 inches, or a pipe diameter of 3.53 inches, so 3.5 inch pipe not 5 inch

Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

wow, i was good at math but wow!! lol.
i thank you my kind sir doing that math for me. your a gentle man and a scholar!
so ill get a exhaust shop to make me a x pipe thats dual 2.5" in with a 3.5" center and dual 3.5" out. ill get 2 of those. i just got a new exhaust installed recently. and they used a high flow circular cat. so ill get another one of those and ill get another thrush welded muffler like the one i have already. then ill take it back to the exhaust shop and show them what i want done. but that wont be till the spring when i put in the new 5.9 and 46re.
also i was hauling 1.5 ton of fire wood and wow. this d was doggin it! ugh!!!! will the 5.9 and 46re do much better? please say yes!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the 5.9 will be better, but idk by how much, gearing has a HUGE effect on how a vehicle feels while towing

Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i got 3.92 gears. if i chose a lower gear what would i want? i wont be racing the truck. just off road and towing tons of wood. lol

Quick Reply: how do o2 sensors work?