1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

show off your 1st gen durango!! ANYTHING GOES!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working in Iowa sense July so far the kids love the beast. The true off-roaders stop to ask questions. Even a Jeep owner that was looking for something other than another Jeep. I have been in sand, valcanic rock, mud, snow, high desert, gravel, LA. Fwy so it has held up with a fresh HD rebuild on the transmission at 140000.
This is where I desided to do the front. So I don't look like any other rig.

Last edited by lvphotos; 10-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

This is when I first got the Durango. Parked behind my 1956 Jeep Willeys Wagon.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

the front fenders do give it that desert race type of look. but i have looked them up and the fiberglass fenders are much more expensive than the stock ones. on rock auto you can get a set both left and right, for around $200.
and im not sure which blazer you are refering to but befor the durango i had both a 83 blazer and a 2001 blazer. the 83 blazer had the same size axles front and rear.
so the ones you saw they must have done a swap to make it wider for a better racing stance and stability.
and thats cool that you race and that you were filmed.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

If you measure your track width the full-size 70s -80s Front axle is wider. I was going to swap frames under my Willeys for my 85 blazer. The 10 bolt salution was to add spacers to match fronts. I don't think the 2wd I had was different. That was instantly taken off its 31" bfgs and slammed when I sold it.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i never measured my track width. but all my wheels had the same offset depth. and when i rotated my tires i never noticed them sticking out at all. and it was a full sized 4 door 350 v8. had 5" lift and 42" tires. nice truck, but i neglected it a little. money was tight and i had a slight tick in the heads. never thought anything of it till my engine ceased. found out i had a broken valve spring and it eventuially bent the valve from it hitting the piston and it cracked the head and the block and then flooded my engine with coolant and ceased the motor up. i almost got into an accident. but i pressed down on the clutch and was able to rool it to a stop.
scared me something feirce! then when i got out and looked under the hood i started to cry a little. lol. i put so much money into it when i was in the marines, had a brand new paint job and shiny chrome all around, edelbrock torker2 intake manifold, holly 750cfm dbl pump, longtube headers dual exhaust, the works. sold it for $6000 with the blown motor, and bought a 2001 blazer. wow what a pile that was. was nice when i first got it but a few months after i started having tons of problems with it. the dealership got tired of me taking it there so often with all of its issues, one of the reps called me and told me i could claim it was a lemon. and i did, they had to give me every peny i put into it back including all the payments i made. thats when we had my son. so we ended up using that money to purchase us a van. ugh. we got a 2011 ford windstar. not the kind of vehicle for me. lol. so shortly after that i found a durango on craigs list and i went and looked it, by the way never buy a vehicle from a junk yard. especially when they say theres nothing wrong with it. i have had that truck since march. and in that time i have had to put over $4000 into it. i love it but i hate it.
in the spring after we get our tax returns, i will be doing a almost comnplete restore to it. including upgrading the motor and trans. but im not going to go into full details on that.
but anyways keep this thread alive ppl!!!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

Blazer not Tahoe! You know, the ones with removable tops. K-5s. In fact I think my K-10 truck was the same.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

shoot!!! my bad, i retract my last statement. my 83 blazer was a 2 door not a 4 door and yes it had the removable top which i only removed 1 time to have it painted, my 2001 blazer was a 4 door. but any ways. i never noticed a difference in the axle length. and i always rotated my tires twice a year. i still do on all my vehicles.
how big of a difference is it from front to back? 1/2" to 1"?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Before and after wheel well install.

this is why I needed to install as well to keep some heat for the winter. The top will get the rubber mat treatment.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Vote for me for ROTM!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just did, good luck man!

Quick Reply: show off your 1st gen durango!! ANYTHING GOES!