1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
MontyJ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, check the length of the wire for pic 5. It looks suspiciously like the A/C compressor connector on my D.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM
JordanS

Originally Posted by MontyJ
Just took a look at my D. The connector in pic 4 looks exactly like the front wheel ABS sensor connector on mine. Look at the ABS ECU and see if there is another connector. I see the main connector in pic 2 is connected. However, there may be a second connector for the front wheel inputs. That could be the connector shown in pic 2 or 5. When the brake pedal goes way down, does the brake light come on? It should because of the switch in the proportioning valve. If not, someone may have previously disabled the ABS and pulled the bulbs or otherwise disabled the lighting indicators.
Originally Posted by MontyJ
Also, check the length of the wire for pic 5. It looks suspiciously like the A/C compressor connector on my D.
Ill check when I get home, what does the ABS ECU look like? The ABS & brake light light up when you start the car but they turn off right away.

I did get the brakes fixed, I just changed the pads & rotors.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i looked at my d and it seems to me as if you have rear wheel abs. not 4 wheel abs. the wiring harness is the same for all vehicles but the abs ecu and the abs controler or pump is different. mine has 2 wheel abs and it looks like mine does. so those lower 2 prong connectors would be for the front abs.
i beleive.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

also the 2 wires that are cut the black and red, are most likely for the under hood light. if its not on the hood right above the master cylinder then it was removed and they just left the wires cut hanging. so you should wire nut the seperately and use electrical tape to seal them from the elements. so no shorting occurs.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im not sure when they did away with it, but at some point dodge stopped putting under hood lights into these trucks, mine does NOT have one and never has, actually my 98 dakota didnt have one either, so im not sure when they did away with it, but they definitely did at some point.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

my d is a 98 and it has one, or had one. my pressure switch was shot and the light housing was hanging so i just took everything out and capped off the wires. the light didnt even do much to begin with.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My 99 has the light too, I put a high output led in it and it works great. I also have the hood liner and painted engine bay that they eventually got rid of.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:09 PM
sp360d
Rookie

Did the same thing you did That_Guy...i have the underhood light on my 99 shelby d (#074) and just added an LED bulb. My shelby had an underhood mat for the shelby hood, but it was so tore up i removed it...thinking of replacing with dynomat underhood matting when my shelby gets repainted in feb 2013. That light looking thingy is definitly an alarm siren that has been disconnected. Cant help you out on the connector problems. Gald you got the brakes fixed...im always amazed at how most women just drive a vehicle and think that it can repair and maintain itself...my ex drove her car with the oil light on for months and never said anything. It was 2.5 quarts low when she finally asked me "i have this funny looking idiot light on my dash always blinking"..no, you are the idiot ex wifey.

Quick Reply: What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)