1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM
JordanS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)

So the girlfriend has had a 2000 5.9l Durango for about a year now. Currently, her brakes are going almost to the floor, but thats a different story. While poking around I noted some connectors not connected and a mysterious "light" thing. If you guys could tell me whats going on, that'd be awesome.

#1 Theres supposed to be a connector here, right?
What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)-nupxsl.jpg

#2 No idea...
What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)-mrqiwl.jpg

#3 Light looking thing with the wires cut
What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)-9ayo9l.jpg

#4 Something should be connected to this grey connector (on the left)
What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)-ajlibl.jpg

#5 Another missing connector
What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)-5hwpyl.jpg

So in total, there are three connectors with nothing connected to them, a funky light looking thing with the wires going to it cut & a missing connector on the brake master cylinder...?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I;ll have to get back to you on the exact wire connections, but that "light looking thingy" is a audible siren, which is installed with aftermarket alarm systems. More than likely there was an issue with the alarm, bad, broken, removed, and the siren was left.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 PM
JordanS

Originally Posted by Duranged408
I;ll have to get back to you on the exact wire connections, but that "light looking thingy" is a audible siren, which is installed with aftermarket alarm systems. More than likely there was an issue with the alarm, bad, broken, removed, and the siren was left.
Nice, that makes sense. There is a little red LED on the dash that Ive always wondered what it was for, now I think I know.

Now to figure out what those connectors are for. Her alarm works so It cant be for the alarm system...

Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

the siren looks like the same one mine has. It's for the Mopar EVS II Plus alarm system that was a dealer option.

The connector on the side of the brake fluid reservoir is for the fluid level sensor IIRC. Not sure what all those plugs go to, but they look like they have something to do with the abs system.

Last edited by that_guy; 09-29-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
JordanS

Originally Posted by that_guy
the siren looks like the same one mine has. It's for the Mopar EVS II Plus alarm system that was a dealer option.

The connector on the side of the brake fluid level is for the fluid level sensor IIRC. Not sure what all those plugs go to, but they look like they have something to do with the abs system.
Awesome, thanks for the info on the alarm system.

The brakes are going south - the pedal is going almost all the way to the floor, I wonder if that has anything to do with the missing connectors. I doubt it though, I think it just needs new brakes.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

check the adjustment of the rear brakes. might not hurt to bleed the system at each wheel either in case there is air in it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 PM
MontyJ
Rookie

I have a '99 Durango. The master cylinder you show is a replacement identical to mine. On my D, there is no connector to go to it. The factory original MS had no connector on it either.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the plug in #1 is supposed to be connected to the wire in #4 it looks like (its a brake fluid level sensor)

the audible siren (as described above) could also be a PA speaker for a CB

one of the other two plugs kind of looks like it could be for the ABS module, but if that was the case the ABS and/or brake lights in the dash would be on.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
JordanS

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the plug in #1 is supposed to be connected to the wire in #4 it looks like (its a brake fluid level sensor)

the audible siren (as described above) could also be a PA speaker for a CB

one of the other two plugs kind of looks like it could be for the ABS module, but if that was the case the ABS and/or brake lights in the dash would be on.
Unfortunately plug #1 doesn't go into #4, wire #4 is held in place on the drivers side wheel well lining.

Also, no ABS or brake lights are on the dash

Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
MontyJ
Rookie

Just took a look at my D. The connector in pic 4 looks exactly like the front wheel ABS sensor connector on mine. Look at the ABS ECU and see if there is another connector. I see the main connector in pic 2 is connected. However, there may be a second connector for the front wheel inputs. That could be the connector shown in pic 2 or 5. When the brake pedal goes way down, does the brake light come on? It should because of the switch in the proportioning valve. If not, someone may have previously disabled the ABS and pulled the bulbs or otherwise disabled the lighting indicators.

Quick Reply: What is this (Now Made With Pictures!)