1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Repair and Mod Oppty 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
hi_speed_tourist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair and Mod Oppty 5.9

Thanks for any help.

Current Sitch: Bone stock '03 5.9, 120k, plenum leak, valve cover leak, runs well but sluggish and low RPM miss.

Since its getting opened up to fix the plenum leak I (think) Ive decided on the following mods or replacements based what all you generous contributors have said:

M1 intake, 52mm tb, injector service/replace, plugs R&R, water pump, oil pump, timing chain and gear, and serp belt. ...Headers, Roller Rockers and hi-flow cats are planned in the near future.

My questions:

1. Have I selected choices that make sense: work well together, add adequate performance / dependability for the buck? Should I just stay with the Kegger?

2. Do you have a better combo for a 5.9 used primarily as a tow rig for 4800 lb. boat in wonderfully mountainous Oregon & Washington?

Admittedly I'm not the best wrench but Im not scared! dangerous combo.

Jeff Spicoli: "Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

Thanks again

Last edited by hi_speed_tourist; 10-04-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: answered one of my own Q's
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

unless the injectors are leaking or sticking dont waste your money touching them, they tend to last very well

dont waste your money on a high flow cat, the truck already has on it (they came with one from dodge)

timing chain is a lifetime part, should not need to be replaced until you rebuild the engine, if you want to replace it no harm done, just giving you a heads up.

otherwise i dont see any problems with your plan

Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Gearing If you have 3.55's switch to 4.10 or 3.92. I know its not relevant to opening the motor up. If I was you I would have the heads off at this time and do the 1.7 rockers and have the heads ported & shaved. Let it breath with that new M1 and have a custom tune done to compliment it all.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
hi_speed_tourist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you know the feeling... got it all in my online shopping cart ready to hit SEND on a large purchase. Need some kind sign or shove to seal the deal. So..Thanks so much for the quick responses!

I had read somewhere that the timing chain can get stretched and become a bit sloppy. Anyway thanks for the advice there Shrp!

Aducart, Yes I do have 3.55 with the 46RE and plan to go to at least 3.92. Do you wish you had 4.11? How much weight are you towing?
I hear ya on the ratio rockers and until you mentioned it I had convinced myself to leave the stock heads as is. But was really leaning toward shorty headers and had researched some shaved head options: The pic is what I got when I googled shaved heads. So how much did you shave them and what was the result on your compression? Octane?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 3.92's and it is a good setup for general towing off-road use. I have towed from 1200-8500lbs. If I was (and plan on doing in the future) switching gears I would do 4.56's cause I plan on going with larger tires in the future.

Quick Reply: Repair and Mod Oppty 5.9