1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How to pull out a 99 Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
xkwedge243x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pull out a 99 Durango?

hey guys, earlier today i came across a little bit of a mud hole. so i decided to try my luck and see if i could get my durango to make it threw. it didn't and i sunk it right down to the floorboards and it sat there for about 2 hours until my dad showed up to get me out, so we slid the rope threw the hole in the Reese hitch and got he me out A ok.

so after we got back, and i got my lecture about responsibility i got to looking for a spot to attach a rope in case nobody could pull me from behind and couldn't find a good spot.

do you guys know of anywhere i can hook a snachrope? Or will i have to buy some aftermarket hooks.

and also, ive never had a winch on any of my vehicals except a 4 wheeler. Can you use that like a chain, just roll it out and hook it to another truck and let them pull you out?

thanks guys!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
cummingetit
Professional

From the front i loop a strap through my lower arm. Haven't broken anything yet. Make sure not to go around your sway bar or cv shaft

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xkwedge243x
hey guys, earlier today i came across a little bit of a mud hole. so i decided to try my luck and see if i could get my durango to make it threw. it didn't and i sunk it right down to the floorboards and it sat there for about 2 hours until my dad showed up to get me out, so we slid the rope threw the hole in the Reese hitch and got he me out A ok.

so after we got back, and i got my lecture about responsibility i got to looking for a spot to attach a rope in case nobody could pull me from behind and couldn't find a good spot.

do you guys know of anywhere i can hook a snachrope? Or will i have to buy some aftermarket hooks.

and also, ive never had a winch on any of my vehicals except a 4 wheeler. Can you use that like a chain, just roll it out and hook it to another truck and let them pull you out?

thanks guys!
If you have a front mounted vehicle winch you can use the other vehicle as an anchor. They could probably give you a tug to but I would use that as a last resort. Use the other truck as an anchor to winch of of is what I would do.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Agreed I would use the winches own power to pull you out using whatever you attach it to as an anchor (truck, tree, whatever). I would be hesitant to pull on the winch, +1 on the last resort.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

There are slots in the main crossmember for a t-hook. Its there for towing. You risk bending a-arms by pulling on them. Stop and ask local tow truck Guy or local four wheel shop how to hook. It use to be min $150 off-road hook and 1 HR another $75 to come out and look to see with tow truck.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
xkwedge243x

thanks guys, i going to try the spot ivphotos told me about. if i have to call my dad because im stuck again hes going to kick my a**, or if i rip parts of my suspension off ;D. hey IV, if its not any trouble do you think i could get a photo of that spot? thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan to get stuck a lot...which seems to be the case, I think you need to do more than just figure out the best way to get pulled out.

Create a plan to turn your Durango into a more competent off road rig. Tires are a good start, same for things like suspension for ground clearance, and maybe even a locker. I don't think lockers are available for the front diff but you could certainly install one in the rear diff.

Next, hooks are a cheap and easy way to always have a connection point. Most GM trucks had them stock so grab a few cheap ones from a salvage yard and bolt them to your frame. Maybe one per corner. Keep them low, but at the same time don't get down below your ground clearance and make sure you'll be able to get to them if you're belly deep in mud.

Next, keep some things in your rig in case you can't get help out to you. Rolls of carpet are great for extra traction. Lay them so the loop fibers are down in the mud and the tires can grip on the underlayment. Buckets of gravel help too and are easy to put in and take out.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
xkwedge243x

haha actually i dont get stuck alot, i dont go threw alot. mostly because my D has 200k miles on it and its got just about every fluid u put in it leaking out. right now i have nexen a/ts all the way around. i plan on getting some buckshot 30/9.5/15s all the way around doing a 2 inch lift and getting a winch. and replacing some seals haha. the only time i really ever have to go threw anything is at the hunting camp but normally i don't go threw anything. just made an exception, mostly because i was DUI. but not on the roads i was on my buddys farm.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, it's 'through' not 'threw.

You walk through a door. You threw a baseball.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
xkwedge243x

dude, i could care less if i misspelled a word. you could still understand me couldn't you?

Quick Reply: How to pull out a 99 Durango?