1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5.9 starting rough when cold or wet

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
thatbaldguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 starting rough when cold or wet

just started having a problem with my 2002 5.9. cranks until the battery is almost dead and then sputters, chugs and is fine the rest of the day. only seems to do it when it's damp or cold (low 60's is cold where I live this time of year... i know, count my blessings) there is a strong fuel smell and it usually only starts if I hold the pedal to the floor while cranking (saw somewhere that this keeps it from flooding, which seems counter-intuitive, but it seems to work... )

have replaced cap, rotor, wires, crank position sensor, throttle position sensor... any ideas? don't know if it matters or not, but was recently in a front end wreck which caused me to have to replace the radiator, fan, a/c condenser...

thanks in advance, this forum has been a lifesaver in the past and am hoping it will come through again!

thatbaldguy

Last edited by thatbaldguy; 10-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

have you tried replacing the battery yet? a bad battery can cause all sorts of trouble, cold weather will make the truck start more slowly. (it can pass an autozone-style load test just fine and still be bad)

that said my sisters car did something similar (hers also had a bad misfire until it warmed up) and the issue was that the coil had cracked, check those things and get back to us.

Quick Reply: 5.9 starting rough when cold or wet