1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cold Air intake pvc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
bigred95
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air intake pvc

Has anyone done this on their truck? I don't want to wing it and get the fuel air mixture wrong. I got the 4.7 and it just has no power. I'm planning on getting headers at some point too, and I got a flowmaster on too. The flowmaster maybe gives you like 1-2 horsepower I'm guessing. I'm just looking to get more power out of the damn thing...

Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
jmess
Veteran

A cold air intake won't adjust your air fuel mixture. That's what the computer is for.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
jamesl75

I did this with my old '98 Durango years ago. I used PVC and a rubber joint to get the intake further towards the fender. I then put a large K&N filter on the end. It definitely made the truck sound cooler and seemed to have a bit more power but it's pretty subjective. A couple of thoughts:
  • Make sure you secure the PVC on the filter side so that it doesn't move around. The K&N filter will get damaged easily.
  • The PVC can get warped over time from the heat of the engine.
  • If you really want true cold air induction you need to get the filter further down into the fender and block it from the hot engine air. My '99 Shelby durango has the filter way down in the fender and blocked off nicely.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
cummingetit
Professional

I'm told the headers aren't really worth it? I don't have them so i can't confirm. I do have the home brew cai and to me i seem to get less pinging and just a hair more power. Idk if sucking in the hot air was making it ping but it seems to have stopped.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM
bigred95
Veteran

Originally Posted by jamesl75
I did this with my old '98 Durango years ago. I used PVC and a rubber joint to get the intake further towards the fender. I then put a large K&N filter on the end. It definitely made the truck sound cooler and seemed to have a bit more power but it's pretty subjective. A couple of thoughts:
  • Make sure you secure the PVC on the filter side so that it doesn't move around. The K&N filter will get damaged easily.
  • The PVC can get warped over time from the heat of the engine.
  • If you really want true cold air induction you need to get the filter further down into the fender and block it from the hot engine air. My '99 Shelby durango has the filter way down in the fender and blocked off nicely.
Would there be another sort of tubing to use that doesn't warp over time? What did you use to block off the filter? Just another piece of plastic? Btw you're lucky you got a shelby, those things are rare as hell and gorgeous trucks!
I'll have to

Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
bigred95
Veteran

And I'm not sure about the headers, I know they will change the tone of the exhaust note. I'm not sure why I want to trick out a durango, maybe I want to be different lol. All I need is some 31s with my t/s lift

Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
jamesl75

Originally Posted by bigred95
Would there be another sort of tubing to use that doesn't warp over time? What did you use to block off the filter? Just another piece of plastic? Btw you're lucky you got a shelby, those things are rare as hell and gorgeous trucks!
I'll have to
Yeah, I watched for a long time for a good deal on one. I drove my '99 for 10 years and have had my eyes open for a Shelby for the past 3. Found a low milage one on ebay and then offered directly to the seller.

Honestly, I don't think you will get much benefit from the pvc route unless you can get air from outside the engine bay. On the shelby they just used a long stretch of the normal flexible hose that connects the TB to the filter box. This is then routed into the driver side fender and then the filter is connected down there. This probably wouldn't be too hard to do on a stock setup if you can get through the fender.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM
bigred95
Veteran

Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to do it. If there isn't that much gain from it it isn't worth the hassle and money. I mean its a 4.7, there ain't much more I can squeeze out of that thing

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

headers on the 4.7 are not worth it unless you plan to build it up VERY big (500+ hp big)

check here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

and you will find this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-brew-cai.html

i did exactly that, i replaced the stock tubing on the air intake and fed an intake out the grill to get cold air in.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can problably take your durango to a reputable exhaust shop and redo the Y collector that ties the engine to the cat. the Y collector tube is small in terms of diameter. Have a custom made Y collector with a much larger diameter may help improve your power curve.

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake pvc