1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Pads with no dusting??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the ceramics have a different thermal capacity than the semi-metallics do, and are slightly harder material from my understanding,

that_guy i never said they didnt make ceramic specific rotors, what i said was that they were made out of the same material as the regular rotors, meaning it is all marketing BS.

straight from tire racks explanation on ceramic brake pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=88
Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.
1) copper is softer than steel, meaning less wear on pads and also has a higher thermal conductivity than steel meaning it will absorb heat faster than the steel in semi-metallic pads

2) since the rotors are typically made out of cast iron the copper is softer, the pads are more prone to wear than the brake rotors themselves.

as for the brembo rotors, do some research man they are carbon-ceramic material with steel or aluminum hubs
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...c%20discs.aspx
watch their production video at the bottom

you will see that they are producing these for high performance application, with the intent to reduce rotating mass over the heavy cast iron rotors that you have on your truck, a side effect of that is the ability to withstand higher temperatures. This ability to withstand higher temperatures is what extends the life of them because they wont likely get hot enough to warp. I will also add that rotors do not typically warp on their own, it requires some sort of thermal shock in order to induce warping. Also once they material gets that hot it gets weaker, causing it to wear faster, and also reducing its ability to effectively absorb heat (making it more likely that they will warp again if you turn a set of warped rotors).

the separate hubs are there to reduce heat transfer to the wheel hub bearing and to allow for rotor expansion without adding stress to the assembly.

also take quick look at autoanythings article on the topic
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/t...-metallic.aspx

so in summary, marketing BS, next time do a FULL set of research before sitting down at your keyboard to correct someone.

I will be putting ceramics on mine before the end of the year, im expecting the following from them after talking to my bosses boss at work who runs them on his dakota, similar brake life, less noticable dust (about 50% as much as semi-metallics), and increased braking force in hard stop situations.

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 11-11-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's about 5 years now since I installed ceramic pads and they still work great and my rotors are still top shape. All depends on your driving habits. I try to use as little brake as possible to conserve my brakes tires and try to coast to a slow stop and then use the brakes.

However, my ceramic pads still dusts my wheels but not as quickly when I had semi-metalic pads.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the ceramics have a different thermal capacity than the semi-metallics do, and are slightly harder material from my understanding,

that_guy i never said they didnt make ceramic specific rotors, what i said was that they were made out of the same material as the regular rotors, meaning it is all marketing BS.

straight from tire racks explanation on ceramic brake pads
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=88

1) copper is softer than steel, meaning less wear on pads and also has a higher thermal conductivity than steel meaning it will absorb heat faster than the steel in semi-metallic pads

2) since the rotors are typically made out of cast iron the copper is softer, the pads are more prone to wear than the brake rotors themselves.

as for the brembo rotors, do some research man they are carbon-ceramic material with steel or aluminum hubs

you will see that they are producing these for high performance application, with the intent to reduce rotating mass over the heavy cast iron rotors that you have on your truck, a side effect of that is the ability to withstand higher temperatures. This ability to withstand higher temperatures is what extends the life of them because they wont likely get hot enough to warp. I will also add that rotors do not typically warp on their own, it requires some sort of thermal shock in order to induce warping. Also once they material gets that hot it gets weaker, causing it to wear faster, and also reducing its ability to effectively absorb heat (making it more likely that they will warp again if you turn a set of warped rotors).

the separate hubs are there to reduce heat transfer to the wheel hub bearing and to allow for rotor expansion without adding stress to the assembly.

also take quick look at autoanythings article on the topic
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/t...-metallic.aspx

so in summary, marketing BS, next time do a FULL set of research before sitting down at your keyboard to correct someone.

I will be putting ceramics on mine before the end of the year, im expecting the following from them after talking to my bosses boss at work who runs them on his dakota, similar brake life, less noticable dust (about 50% as much as semi-metallics), and increased braking force in hard stop situations.

They definitely make discs that are made from carbon-ceramic, it's not marketing bs.

Straight from a company that makes them, complete with a video on how to make them.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM
DyingBreed
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just repeated the link shrp posted. But didnt notice those are mostly high end performance brake discs. (over to the right it states some models using them such as Corvette ZR1, Lexus LFA, and Ferrari) yes they make them. yes theyre expensive. Let's not forget carbon fiber brakes either, pointless yes since we aren't driving high performance high speed durangos. Besides being better materials doesn't make it the best for every application.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DyingBreed
You just repeated the link shrp posted. But didnt notice those are mostly high end performance brake discs. (over to the right it states some models using them such as Corvette ZR1, Lexus LFA, and Ferrari) yes they make them. yes theyre expensive. Let's not forget carbon fiber brakes either, pointless yes since we aren't driving high performance high speed durangos. Besides being better materials doesn't make it the best for every application.
Yes I know I repeated the link. My point was that they do in fact make carbon ceramic disks (regardless of the cost), so him telling me I don't know what I'm talking about was unnecessary.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

dude you need to learn to read, i stated that they did in fact make discs out of carbon/ceramic material, what i said was (if you had bothered reading all of my posts) is that they are not specific to ceramic brake pads, and that the rotor is not specific to either type of brake pad material, you seriously need to learn to read what is written more carefully before calling someone out.

i said that companies marketing rotors as cermaic-pad specific is all marketing BS, the brembo rotors are very specialized units which you wouldnt buy for something you are driving every day

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 11-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  arguing-on-the-internet-bra-on-teats-on-bull-demotivational-poster-1281570485.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  44.8 KB

Now with that said.....I find it interesting how the thread went from a simple question about what are good brake pads to a disagreement about rotors...

Quick Reply: Brake Pads with no dusting??