1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranfer case question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
wlarocque
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranfer case question

So here is my info. 2003 4.7l 4x4 SXT with the NV133 transfer case. I have a friend with a 2002 5.9L 4x4 SLT with the NV233 transfer case with a blown motor sitting in a shed. He is willing to let me take parts off it if I want to go through the trouble of removing them. So my question is... are the transfer cases easily plug and play. Of course I would need to pull and replace the dash switch as well. My concern is, is the dash wiring the same. Will I need to go though the hassle of pulling the wiring harness out as well. My t-case works perfectly fine right now, but it would be nice to have a two speed case if all it will cost me is a little time.

I've done searches and seen that other people want to do the same thing but none of the posts I have found gave any information that it was successful or not. That leads me to believe that it was not. But when I look at all the parts online, everything looks interchangeable. I have all the time I need to get the parts off the donor durango. The problem is my durango is my daily driver and I work 6 days a week. So if I attempt this I only have a one day window. So I would like to know if there are any pitfalls or hang ups. If its just plug and play that would be awesome, but I can not find any conformation of that.

So if anyone on the forum has done this please, please let me know what to expect. Any help or information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
wlarocque

Anybody?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

they should be the same physical dimensions, the wiring should be the same, the differences would be in the shift motor, the TCM (possibly) and the switch, if you can get all of that out i see no reason it shouldnt bolt right in, if in doubt pull the parts and check the plugs, if there are the same number of wires connected tot he plugs then the correct pins are there.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
wlarocque

Thanks shrps,

It all looks like it will just pop right in. I am figuring it should be pretty simple, but I've seen pretty simple turn into a pain in the butt before. I just wanted some reassurance. I will most likely will start pulling parts in a week or so. If all goes well I will try to install it mid January, weather permitting. I will definitely post if it works or not.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tranfer case question