1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Stumped! Died idling, 100% loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
shootstuff4fun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped! Died idling, 100% loss of power.

I pulled into the bar on Saturday night, and as I was easing into the spot (idling), the truck died. 100% loss of power. Well, the next morning, got the battery charged at O'Reilly's and they said it's weak. Put the battery back in, Durango started up, but would shut down during idle. Used my wife's car battery, same problem. Disconnected negative terminal and reset PCM, problem solved. My fear, however, is that the problem will return once the re-learn procedure is complete. The reason it failed in the first place is what I am trying to figure out, before it strands me in a possibly less safe place, like the middle of the road. Anybody have this happen before? Sorry for the long post. By the way, new here, and so far, so good!
edit: when I keep my foot on the gas, the voltage gage shows 14, and with the radio on, it jumps a tiny bit then back to 14. When the engine is off, and the ignition turned to on, voltage gage says 12, so it CAN'T be a battery issue right? I mean, it died while I was idling pulling into a parking space.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Cameron1152

Just because your battery is reading 12 doesn't mean thats what your getting. Cranking amps is totally different and is whats used to start the car. Thats why if you let your car sit for a couple days with a old battery it struggles to start but i bet you a volt meter still shows proper voltage. Or cold mornings same deal. Dont have the proper cranking amps and it can cause all sorts of issues. From no start/click to crank crank crank no fire and so on. The fact the voltages goes up if you press the gas tells me your alternator is working but your battery isn't holding.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

definitely sounds like a weak battery to me if its more than 4 years old just replace it.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
98beast

Its your throttle position sensor also known as TPS its located right next to the throttle body.
I had the same issue with my 98 durango

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
shootstuff4fun

They told me the battery was weak, but the same issue happened with a brand new battery. Is the throttle position sensor an easy fix? Also, with the reset, the problem has been seemingly resolved. Could the battery having gone bad caused the issue and nothing more? Or will it return when the engine has a chance to relearn?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the answer is maybe, it is always possible that the sensor was feeding bad data to the pcm and clearing it got rid of the data and you will be fine for days, months, years before that data is corrupted somehow, leave it go and see what happens,

Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 AM
98beast

Originally Posted by shootstuff4fun
They told me the battery was weak, but the same issue happened with a brand new battery. Is the throttle position sensor an easy fix? Also, with the reset, the problem has been seemingly resolved. Could the battery having gone bad caused the issue and nothing more? Or will it return when the engine has a chance to relearn?
Yes its an easy fix. The only tool you will. Need is a torx screw #25 or 28 i cant remember off the top of my head..

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
98beast

Originally Posted by shootstuff4fun
Check out this video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8m339ziMi18

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
shootstuff4fun

Sweet. Glad to know it MOST LIKELY isn't a PCM issue, before I went ahead and replaced that anyways. TPS is WAYYYYY cheaper and easier. I will let you guys know if anything else crazy happens.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
98beast

Read the description.
http://partsguide.dodgeforum.com/par...10406/5679380/
Let us know if this was the problem after you replace your tps

Quick Reply: Stumped! Died idling, 100% loss of power.