1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 AM
96superneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window problem

Ok i just purchased a 2001 durango slt last week. the driver side window buttons will control all windows. but the buttons for each window on each door will not work. I did push the window lock button and tried the windows in both the lock and unlock positions and had the same outcome.. nothing at each switch. I'm sure its an easy fix. Like maybe the lock button is stuck on?? or a relay?? Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its right in the FAQ..

but this is what you need to do to fix the problem

Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

if you open the door panel be careful to not get cut on the sheet medal. a long time ago my dad got a bad cut that way. be careful.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

It could be that the WINDOW LOCK button no longer works. You could probably get a new drivers side unit at a junk yard for a few dollars. Unscrew the 5 screws holding on the door panel, disconnect the door handle rods, speakers, and control unit; then it should come out. Might be an easy fix. u-tube has good videos on how to do it.

Just an idea.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by cmikolajczyk
It could be that the WINDOW LOCK button no longer works. You could probably get a new drivers side unit at a junk yard for a few dollars. Unscrew the 5 screws holding on the door panel, disconnect the door handle rods, speakers, and control unit; then it should come out. Might be an easy fix. u-tube has good videos on how to do it.

Just an idea.
The junkyard unit will just fail in the same way as the previous unit, if it hasn't failed already. The best option is to do the WINDOW LOCK BYPASS, as stated in the link I posted in my original reply

As for taking the door panel off to fix the switch, why?!?! The plastic piece that the switches attach to pops out on its own! Pull gently at the bottom of the plastic square around the switch and it should just pop right out, just be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in. I'm not responsible if you do!

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 06-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Originally Posted by RockGuardedDak
The junkyard unit will just fail in the same way as the previous unit, if it hasn't failed already. The best option is to do the WINDOW LOCK BYPASS, as stated in the link I posted in my original reply

As for taking the door panel off to fix the switch, why?!?! The plastic piece that the switches attach to pops out on its own! Pull gently at the bottom of the plastic square around the switch and it should just pop right out, just be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in. I'm not responsible if you do!
Sorry, not on my 98', you must have a different package than I do. My switch thing is screwed in from the backside of the panel.

And I have children that ride in my vehicle, I like to lock my windows. I just replaced it with a junkyard unit. I haven't had an issue yet.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
96superneon

Thanks Rock! That worked perfectly! And was super easy!! My wife will be much happier now that she can control her own window haha

Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by cmikolajczyk
Sorry, not on my 98', you must have a different package than I do. My switch thing is screwed in from the backside of the panel.

And I have children that ride in my vehicle, I like to lock my windows. I just replaced it with a junkyard unit. I haven't had an issue yet.
Oh, yeah the interior got a revamp when they started putting the 4.7L in (I think). His, and my problem, were completely different from your problem. We also have a different window switch than you do.

Thanks Rock! That worked perfectly! And was super easy!! My wife will be much happier now that she can control her own window haha
Don't thank me, thank the guy who figured out how to bypass it, I just pointed you in the right direction.

And I know everyone that rides in my truck was much much happier once they could control their own windows too! lol

Quick Reply: power window problem