1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

46re torque converter cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
DustinMeyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re torque converter cover

I am trying to remove the torque converter cover(i have found online most people call it the dust cover picture 1 is the underside showing the cover) i have removed the bolts from the transmission side of the engine-transmission-front axle struts. i have removed all bolts from the cover its self. The problem is that there is one bolt(im not 100%sure what it would be called but its basically a bolt with no end where a nut screws on picture 2) that sticks threw the cover and can not be removed. I have looked through three different manuals for the vehicle and all say the same thing and don't go into detail about removing the cover. It could be something simple but i am at a stand still at this point. How do i remove this cover?

I have a "1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8 4x4 SLT" it has a 46re transmission.

picture 1:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...102020_175.jpg

picture 2:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...104448_796.png

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
There is a trick to remove the inspection cover. The stud in question, you can use a stud socket remover or put two nuts on the stud and tighten the nuts together. Then tey to remove the stud from the inside nut. To remove the inspection cover, Remove all four 9/16 bellhousing bolts. Then loosen the two 5/8 bolts just enough for the inspection cover to drop down. Then using the two 5/8 bolts and tighten the transmission back to the engine block. The remove the four torque converter bolts. They are either 9/16 or 14mm.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 AM
DustinMeyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much i removed the stud and followed the steps but the plate just does not seem to want to fall i can get it to wiggle(maybe 1-2 inches) but it wont come completely out. there is a lot of gunk on it so i wiped as much as i could and used some wd40 to lube it up but still no luck. would there be any other reason it wouldn't be sliding right out?

Quick Reply: 46re torque converter cover