1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Seized Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM
crwbr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized Brakes

I own a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT. Several weeks ago, my front driver side brake caliper seized up. The brake rotor was extremely hot, I could smell burning the brake pads burning. I had the caliper replaced and all seemed fine. Today, after nearly two hours of heavy stop and go traffic, I experienced the same issue. I smelled burning brake pads, the brake pedal was extremely hard to press and it would slow significantly as soon as I let off the accelerator. Even when placed in Neutral on a hill, it would not move.

Of course, after more than two hours waiting for a tow truck (I was over 40 miles from home) as soon as the tow truck arrived, the truck was driving normally. I brought it back to the same mechanic and after two test drives over 20 miles, the issue did not repeat. After I explained my situation to another mechanic in the same shop, he suggested that the vacuum brake boost may be faulty.

Anyone have any other suggestions or possibilities? I am hoping to avoid replacing expensive part after expensive part to try to figure out the problem.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you have the brake hoses replaced?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
crwbr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... not sure. I know the driver side caliper was replaced, but I do not know for sure if all the hoses were replaced also.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm guessing the hose is the problem then.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad brake hose needs to be replaced. The inside of the rubber hose is collapsing and not allowing the fluid pressure to release. Over time the pressure will slowly release and the brakes work again. These trucks are well known for this problem.

One of the major causes of this problem is letting the brake caliper hang by the hose when replacing the pads and/or rotors. Always hang the caliper with a wire hook when servicing the brakes.

Quick Reply: Seized Brakes