1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'02 Tail light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Warbirdfotos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Tail light assembly

Greetings,

I have a brake light that is out on the driver side of my '02 Durango.

I replaced the bulb, tail "light" works, brake light doesnt.

The bulb plug, that which you twist out a 1/4 turn to replace bulb, is brown in color, as if it was heating up at some point. Also put the "browned" plug in a different slot and it functions fine with a new bulb, on both pass. side and driver side.

I swapped out that plug with another one in the same assembly, no go! Swapped out with one from passenger side, also, no go!

Wanted to pull the assembly out and have it tested for continuity, snapped off the little tab, before i saw the red slider pin. Slid that to the left side, still cant separate the assembly from the wire bundle.

Forgive my lack of proper terminology, i suppose i could load a couple pics from my iphone for clearer expanation.

Is it possible that the entire assembly is toast?
Is there a trick to unplugging the assembly?
Could it be the multi function switch under the dash, for just the brake light?

So many questions, i want to avoid taking it to Dodge, or any mechanic for that matter.

I have been thru many repairs on this thing, and there still many that need addressing, so i will be back here in the near future.

I leave tomorrow for a 1200mi trip to the northwest for 2 months, my visits to your forum will be off and on, but i sure appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Many thanks

ADT

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Sounds like the same thing that happened with mine. The bulb not working has to do with the little metal tabs on the 1/4 turn bulb socket. Make sure those are seated good, on the metal on the housing. I had trouble disconnecting the assy as well, but move to the other one and I bet that comes out easily and then move to the other side. For me, it was the way I was standing. LOL

SJ02

Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Warbirdfotos

Thanks Smokin' Joe,

just to be clear, the bulb works fine with the lights on, and stays lit when applying the brake, just doesnt "light up" as it should!

Yeah, it is dependent on the way you stand, lol!

ADT

Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, those metal contacts on both the bulb holder and the housing can get hot and sink into the plastic some causing issues like that. Just bend them back and you should be good.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Bending it back should work, but if it doesn't, you can go down to the dealership and just order up a new socket for around $10 or so and that should solve your problem. Hope it is just as simple as bending it back though.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Warbirdfotos

Thanks a bunch! The burnt socket works in the other two slots in the same assembly, so I will try bending up the tabs on the assembly itself, will advize!

Anyone else have the same multitude of cooling issues on the 4.7? Kickcan......

To be continued in another thread, hope the type writer doesn't run out of ink......

Quick Reply: '02 Tail light assembly