1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Passenger floorboard wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Monique rebardi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger floorboard wet

I have a 2003 dodge Durango 4.7L v8 automatic. I purchased my vehicle about a month ago,and noticed when I picked up the floorboard mat on the passenger side it was damp underneath,so I just removed the mat.Over the last two weeks the carpet on the passenger side remains to get wet,even soaked.I pull some of the carpet up to place a towel underneath the carpet,and 2 days later the towel was soaked!! I don't know where this water is coming from,but I do believe it has to do with the air conditioner. Plzz help!!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
brandofamily
Rookie

The drain tube for the A/C condenser condensation is leaking back into the cab. The water runs back along the tube, soaks the foam insulation and then drains back in. I had the same issue.
There is a drain tube from the Caravan that can be used to extend the drain. Try this link...
For ALL you Gen III pasenger side water leak people here is the fix.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Speedygtrr

Have you noticed a smell like coolant in the vents when you turn on the
Heater . If so then you might have a bad heater core they tend to leak
If no smell then just check the drain tube for the ac

Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional

Not much else to say other than that it could either be the A/C drain coming out of the firewall into the engine compartment on the passenger side, or a cracked/leaking heater core in the dash.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:42 PM
willowbee

Thank you . I now see the water or whatever the liquid is could be from the AC.
I guess I'll end up going to the car repair shop.
OR
Could I not use my AC? LOL
I live in Austin TX , that's not a likely way to go.
Metta,
Willow

Old 05-28-2021, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Originally Posted by willowbee
Thank you . I now see the water or whatever the liquid is could be from the AC.
I guess I'll end up going to the car repair shop.
OR
Could I not use my AC? LOL
I live in Austin TX , that's not a likely way to go.
Metta,
Willow
There is a drain for the heater/ac box that goes thru the firewall, into the engine compartment. It is down low, on the passenger side, not sure how easy it is to find, but, generally, they like to get plugged up, and when you run the a/c, water ends up on the floor. You can clear that drain with something as simple as a stiff wire, or pipe cleaner, and solve the problem.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique rebardi
I have a 2003 dodge Durango 4.7L v8 automatic. I purchased my vehicle about a month ago,and noticed when I picked up the floorboard mat on the passenger side it was damp underneath,so I just removed the mat.Over the last two weeks the carpet on the passenger side remains to get wet,even soaked.I pull some of the carpet up to place a towel underneath the carpet,and 2 days later the towel was soaked!! I don't know where this water is coming from,but I do believe it has to do with the air conditioner. Plzz help!!

If it smells sweet or the windshield fogs up when you turn the air on, it's a leaking heater core. If it's just plain water, your evaporator drain is stopped up. On the engine side of the firewall, usually around the exhaust manifold, there will be a little tube that comes out and points down. With the engine fairly cool you can reach down there and flip it with your finger. Sometimes leaves break down and get through the screens and plug the outlet. Flipping the end will sometimes break it loose. If that doesn't do anything, use a short length of pipe cleaner and work it in from outside. Do NOT go all the way in, just enough to open the drain. You don' want to poke a hole in the heater core or expansion coil inside. If this is the issue, the flow of water should clear it out. It might seem simpler to crawl underneath and do it from there rather than across the fender. DON'T do that. You WILL get a gush of pretty nasty water in the face. Don't ask me how I know that.

Quick Reply: Passenger floorboard wet