Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
vako
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Its a good price, but I wouldn't count on those LEDs lasting too long.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by that_guy
Its a good price, but I wouldn't count on those LEDs lasting too long.

Those LED's could never work on his truck without some re wiring unless he has a Canadian model D. There for DRL which the US models never had OEM.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Old_School
Those LED's could never work on his truck without some re wiring unless he has a Canadian model D. There for DRL which the US models never had OEM.
They wouldn't even work then without modification because the canadian drls ran the high beam at reduced voltage. They could be wired to come on with the ignition, or from one of the relays in the pdc that only gets power when the engine is running. They could just be used as parking lights too.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at those when I was considering headlight options and I agree that without some creative wiring that those LEDS would not work for the truck. The LED's I have on my truck use the stock wiring by making use of the signal bulb socket to plug into so that it fits directly into the stock setup. Being as this has both signal lamps and the LED strip on the headlight I cannot see how this would work.

These are the ones I ended up going with and they are still working fine 4 months later.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by alwaysclean19
I looked at those when I was considering headlight options and I agree that without some creative wiring that those LEDS would not work for the truck. The LED's I have on my truck use the stock wiring by making use of the signal bulb socket to plug into so that it fits directly into the stock setup. Being as this has both signal lamps and the LED strip on the headlight I cannot see how this would work.

These are the ones I ended up going with and they are still working fine 4 months later.
Those ones look really sick... i have been looking at those for about a year now. my only concern is that by law here the white strip cannot blink with the turn signals. Is it possible to wire the white's to a aftermarket DRL unit and the amber's to the turn signals?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those ones look really sick... i have been looking at those for about a year now. my only concern is that by law here the white strip cannot blink with the turn signals. Is it possible to wire the white's to a aftermarket DRL unit and the amber's to the turn signals?
Yea its kind of Illegal here too... but I have not had a problem as of yet. (there are bigger problems to deal with and the officers on Long Island while being the highest paid in the country are not motivated to do anything besides pull over a speeder now and then) Now as for the wiring white to DRL and amber to turn signal, that is how I thought it was going to be originally, however I was wrong. I am working on a way to tap the white LED wiring into the marker/park lights on the outside corner of the headlight. If I can figure out a way to do it without damaging the wiring I will let you know.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Yea its kind of Illegal here too... but I have not had a problem as of yet. (there are bigger problems to deal with and the officers on Long Island while being the highest paid in the country are not motivated to do anything besides pull over a speeder now and then) Now as for the wiring white to DRL and amber to turn signal, that is how I thought it was going to be originally, however I was wrong. I am working on a way to tap the white LED wiring into the marker/park lights on the outside corner of the headlight. If I can figure out a way to do it without damaging the wiring I will let you know.

See we have the opposite here.... The township and boro officers are the poorest paid law enforcement officers (compaired to PSP) yet they have the will and power to go above and beyond the call of duty to be the biggest a$$holes in town. I would much rather deal with a state trooper because chances are they will just make you aware it is not legal and give you a warning w/ a few days to correct it. With the locals your getting a citation for it and whatever else they can find along the way.

now back to topic.....

I guess ill have to buy a set and see how i can mod them.. There are a few on E-bay where the seller states that they can be modded by a pro installed to a aftermarket DRL unit. The unit's i have seen on Amazon for $20-$30 dollars.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
that_guy
Champion

Are there separate connectors for the white and for the amber LEDs?

See we have the opposite here.... The township and boro officers are the poorest paid law enforcement officers (compaired to PSP) yet they have the will and power to go above and beyond the call of duty to be the biggest a$$holes in town. I would much rather deal with a state trooper because chances are they will just make you aware it is not legal and give you a warning w/ a few days to correct it. With the locals your getting a citation for it and whatever else they can find along the way.

now back to topic.....

I guess ill have to buy a set and see how i can mod them.. There are a few on E-bay where the seller states that they can be modded by a pro installed to a aftermarket DRL unit. The unit's i have seen on Amazon for $20-$30 dollars.
Didn't you mention a while ago that PA was passing a law against LEDs unless they're factory?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Didn't you mention a while ago that PA was passing a law against LEDs unless they're factory?
There trying to ... went though the senate but, has to clear the house and the gov. has to sign it. Usually bills like this die on the house floor so i will add reasonable non blinding things now and not worry about it till i have to.

Only thing i worry about with those is the phillips bulbs getting to hot and cracking the housings.

Last edited by Old_School; 06-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: are these headlights worth it?