1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas Filling Issues, Yep Still,lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Filling Issues, Yep Still,lol

I posted up a few months back about my gas filling issues on how it takes me 20 minutes to put 20 bucks of gas in the 98 Durango.

Well After trouble shooting this from all angles, doing a evap test,etc Its been determined that my gastank needs to come down for them to further troubleshoot it, all lines have been checked, filler neck checked & all things point to the gas tank, my question is what is actually on top of the tank that could have gone bad? is their a solenoid up their? charcoal filter?

if I pay the 300-350 bucks cause I sure as hell don't wanna do it,lol what am I looking at as the culprit & possibly the cost on top of labor to get it fixed once & for all, Im in Wisconsin & needless to say I gotta do this before winter comes,lol

Thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

How is the vent hoses? If you have a pinch hose anywhere, that would cause the same thing.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I still think it's worth taking it down yourself to save some money. Once it's down it'll be much easier to see what's wrong, like master tech suggested.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually it's the vent hose.

My ford bronco..well from about 2004+ they started switching out to new pumps. By 2008 it would take nearly 45 minutes to fill up my 34 gallon tank. It was the design and the vapors were not escaping fast enough. Thus causing the pump to think the tank is full and knock it off.

That said.. Have you tried a different gas station? Maybe its a sensitive pump nozzle.

If its truly an issue with your truck, my guess would be a knick in the hose or a pinched vent line.

The ford guys would simply add a vent line to over come the vapor issue.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

Well that's the thing, the mechanic who ran the test said the evap test revealed nothing, he told me his visually inspected everything he could without having to remove the tank & in his inspection didn't notice anything pinched, This is when he said I know it sucks but to further troubleshoot it were going to have to take down the tank to get on top of it to see what's going on their.

Now I am not a mechanic, I can trouble shoot the minor things like an empty windshield wash reservoir,lol, Well ive done brakes as well & some minor things but the whole tank thing with the fuel & all intimidates the **** outta me & I don't have a clue what Im looking for, I know of the charcoal thing & solenoids just researching the problem.

So basically I want to kinda know what it is he's gonna find out as the problem & what liklely that will be, and unfortuanetly this isn't a gas station issue, this is a truck problem. In fact theirs only 1 specific one I have to fill at to be able to even pump at where the flows slow enough for it not to keep cutting it off.

it really sucks ***,lol

Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to home depot and buy a large clear tube (in the plumbing section). It should have white criss cross lines in the plastic tube. Unless you can find a big enough tube all clear.

Anyway, get a clear tube big enough to fit in your fill hole, and big enough to fit around the nozzle of the gas pump.

Get one about a foot long.. Go to gas station and fill up. You'll be able to see what's goin on up top with that.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

What will this accomplish? Is their anything I need to look for when & if I would try this, I assume you want me to extend the gas pump neck to further down the filler neck, Just don't understand what this is going to accomplish or what Im looking for.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Gas Filling Issues, Yep Still,lol