1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

bcm damaged, how to buy new one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 AM
snake B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bcm damaged, how to buy new one?

so i have a 2001 durango stl 2wd
some time ago it start having some weird electrical problems , and more and more and now my power locks are crazy they open and keep loking by themselves all the time sometimes really fast, my power windows dont work on any switch except the main driver control, my dome lights are failing and my rear windshield wiper doesnt work anymore , so i took the durango to a shop, and the guy told me it was the bcm, so i need a new one , the guy told me ANY durango bcm should work ,cause only control lights and stuff like that and i was like .......... really?.... but i want to be sure first cause i read on other similar post that it need to be reprogrammed by the dealer

does any durango bcm should work? or all the numbers on it need to be exactly the same? and why or what does it need to be reprogrammed? i dont have a factory keyless entry , and my alarm is aftermarket (i bought it with it)

any help is really appreciated

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to have the PCM reprogrammed (dealer only I think) to match the VIN of your truck so it knows what all is installed from factory. otherwise, no, you cannot simply get a PCM from one durango and expect it work perfectly in another.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are places online where you can buy one and give them your VIN and they will send it to you pre programmed so for you i would be plug and play then. There not cheap but cheaper than a dealer would charge you. IIRC, someone here used Auto Computer Exchange and it was in the $200 range for one.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok i see some confusion forming already the OP said BCM, not sure what he means by this, there are two major control modules in all the trucks (three and four in others).

the PCM controls the engine and MUST BE FLASHED by the dealer with the correct VIN in order to work
the CTM controls the interior electronics (i believe this is what the OP is having problems with) and must be flashed with the appropriate options before installation or else it will cause some things to work some things not to and (if it is programmed wrong for security) the truck to not start.
the TCM controls the transmission and shifting (on 00-02 4.7l equipped trucks ONLY)
and the TCCM controls the transfer case and 4wd indicator lights in the dash (on 4wd/awd trucks only)

i hope this helps

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
snake B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about the confusion,
BCM - BODY CONTROL MODULE

or

CTM - CENTRAL TIMING MODULE

Im not sure why it have 2 different names
im looking for the number on mine, durangos are really rare where i am, so if i found one on a junkyard , the chances of finding matching number are really low , and a brand new one is way too expensive

thats why i asked if any should work (as the guy on the shop told me), cause i think i will not find the exact number

thank you for the advice

Quick Reply: bcm damaged, how to buy new one?