1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Radio Install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Install.

Basically I've hoarded pretty much anything electrical for cars and computers for at least 10 years cause I used to mess with that stuff for fun...and now I'm driving the Durango more than usual so it's about time the factory radio goes and I throw an aftermarket one in with an amp and some subs. The thing is I have the installation kit and wiring harness from my hoarding but without directions on how to remove things and such. I did look that up and found that out as I was working on this though. But when it comes down to it, I figured I'd still see if there were any hints or tips and I do have an 01 with the Infinity system and I'm not exactly sure what I have to do to power, bypass or whatever the stock amp. Mind you, I have read other threads (a long time ago) but I'm looking for a straight forward answer about that without having to go back and read through several pages to make sure and also still wondering if there are any hints or tips.

Last edited by melodytoinvent; 08-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
Basically I've hoarded pretty much anything electrical for cars and computers for at least 10 years cause I used to mess with that stuff for fun...and now I'm driving the Durango more than usual so it's about time the factory radio goes and I throw an aftermarket one in with an amp and some subs. The thing is I have the installation kit and wiring harness from my hoarding but without directions on how to remove things and such. I did look that up and found that out as I was working on this though. But when it comes down to it, I figured I'd still see if there were any hints or tips and I do have an 01 with the Infinity system and I'm not exactly sure what I have to do to power, bypass or whatever the stock amp. Mind you, I have read other threads (a long time ago) but I'm looking for a straight forward answer about that without having to go back and read through several pages to make sure and also still wondering if there are any hints or tips.
If your going to be using the factory amp it is powered by a blue wire. If not there is a bypass harness you can buy. I have found them before on e-bay. My advise would be to download the 2002 factory service manual from here.. that will give you the wire diagrams to how its all wired.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's basically just wiring it up like anything else if I want to use the factory amp?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by melodytoinvent
So it's basically just wiring it up like anything else if I want to use the factory amp?
Yup. I'm on my 4th head unit with the factory amp. On the negative side (maybe), it's 12 yr old tech. In the positive side, it's power matched to the stock infinity speaker set, which may be why mine are not blown.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had blown speakers in my durango. But my father had a durango and the system was amazing.

Needless to say I installed a new, non flashy kenwood unit with sat radio. Infinity kappa component speakers (6.9cs). They sound great but lack the bass.

Did the factory amp bypass - sounded like trash. So to date I still use the factory amp.

While I'm not impressed with my system, it works for a vehicle that drives less than 1000 miles a year.

Name:  66879edb.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  db0d23fa.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by PublicHair; 08-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Radio Install.