1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brakes Locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 PM
menusetc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Locking

Okay - I own a 2000 4.7 durango. At start and shortly thereafter, when i apply brakes - even at low speed it seems as though im only getting rear brakes and they lock immediately. Seems to stop after a while of driving but this is really bothering me. Any first ideas?
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a dodge thing. My Durango does it, my ram did it. Most people agree that it's just a thin film of some sort, or just moisture even, that gets on the brakes and grabs when you first use them, but shortly after it wears off.

My Durango has 4 wheel antilock and didn't actually start locking them up until the abs system starting acting up and I disconnected it for the time being. It would still make them extremely touchy for the first couple times I came to a stop. At least I knew my antilock system worked up until I had I unplug it.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's definitely not normal, I've never heard anyone say that it's normal for them unless something else is wrong. I'd check the adjustment on the rear brakes and inspect for fluid leaking onto the drums or linings. I had wheel cylinders leaking fluid into the shoes one and it caused the rear brakes to grab and lock up soon as you hit the pedal (this was after I disconnected the abs to diagnose the problem), but the abs during pressure to the back made the brakes feel weak like you're describing. New wheel cylinders, shoes, and rebuild kits only cost around $40 for them.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. I have heard several people have the same issue. I have had my brakes looked at several times, and they always come back with a good report.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the drums off and clean the dust out.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 AM
menusetc

Thanks - I will check them this weekend.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM
redfernclan
Rookie

Mine has done it since it was new in 98. When it was a daily driver, not a problem but now I only put a couple of thousand mile a year on it. I have inspected them many times and just came to the conclusion that after they sit for awhile, especially here in Oregon where it is so moist, the build a film of rust on the drums and rotors. It takes a couple of stops to remove it and then everything works fine. You can see the rotors get rusty in the front in just a couple of days. Talked to the dealer and he said if after a couple of stops they work fine, its a non issue. I would guess that some on the forum don't experience it like I do living here in a giant Terrarium.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well if it's them getting rusty from sitting for extended periods you're going to have that on any vehicle.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
dxloat
Veteran

Mine can get grabby from a thin coat of surface rust in a couple days if humidity is high, but the grabby feel burns off upon the first or second time braking and things go back to normal.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 PM
redfernclan
Rookie

Yup.
Other than those stinken caliper pins and pads that are hard as he__, haven't had any brake issues.

Quick Reply: Brakes Locking