1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

dodge transmission guru's i need you

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 PM
glentonj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge transmission guru's i need you

Ok first im new to the Durango so some questions might seem dumber than normal. my problem is i just bought a 99 Durango with 137000 miles for 600 bucks on cl. the previous owner said that the trans was slipping but as i drove it the trans never slipped actually it pulled very hard but it didn't shift into second even if i moved the lever to 2 it never goes into second. i replaced the speed sensor at the tail shaft of the trans nothing changed. there is no codes stored and my cel isn't on. please help dodge gods. forgot to say its a slt 5.2 auto

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

With a 5.2l it should be a 44re. We need more info to give a better diagnosis but here is how to start. The first thing you should do is check the trans fluid level. Then if that's fine drop the pan and do a filter/band adjustment. While your in there look for anything broke, burnt smelling/bad fluid, or excessive metal.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
glentonj

fluid level was perfect she said it happened over night and i was wondering if putting it in second would for it into second or is it all electronic. also it goes into park reverse neutral and drive instantly but drive and under stays in first

Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Well first, second, and third will work with transmission electronics unplugged (these were basically the old non electronic 3spd with an electronically activated o/d unit on the rear). You need to pull the pan. It sounds like a mechanical failure of some sort. Pm user mastertech he is the trans guru.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM
glentonj

update pulled the trans relay and it now drives in second or third one of the 2 switched it down to first manually and it stayed there even after go to d but put it in park then right back to drive without turning it off it drives in 2 again. and after all of that still no slipping.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Really starting to sound like a mechanical issue now. If you can have the pressure solenoid and sensor checked along with the lockup and o/d solenoids or check them yourself just to eliminate those as a cause. The lockup and o/d should have nothing to do with this but just be on the safe side.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Really starting to sound like a mechanical issue now. If you can have the pressure solenoid and sensor checked along with the lockup and o/d solenoids or check them yourself just to eliminate those as a cause. The lockup and o/d should have nothing to do with this but just be on the safe side.

+1

If i where the OP i would just get the kit and fresh fluid/filter and get it done... not hard at all to do.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Did the check engine lamp come on? And if it did, what were the codes. If you drop the shift lever into low and move it up towards drive. Does it shift from 1st, 2nd and then into 3rd gear? If it does, replace the transducer and governor solenoid. If it doesn't shift, replace the valve body and adjust the bands. If you need help to adjust the bands and the throttle cable, either let me know or some of the old timers on the forum.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM
glentonj

When i shift the lever nothing happened but when i pulled the relay it went to second and if i move it in first it goes to first and stays in first till i put it in park then it will go back to second

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats because the transmission is starting off in limp in gear.........2nd. pulling the isn't really doing anything but powering down the circuit. If the transmission will not go into low gear when you move the shifter, I would either start doing line pressure test or maybe replacing the transmission with a mopar reman. 3yr or 100k warranty. Because once the pan is down, you don't know how much damage has gone inside the transmission.

Quick Reply: dodge transmission guru's i need you