1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
budah93
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issue

went out to start my durango the other day and the battery was completely dead. I put my battery charger on it until it was fully charged and tried to start it, nothing. I jumped it and it turned on for a quick second then died immediately. I noticed I was pretty low on gas so I put some gas in a gas can and put 5 gallons in, tried to start it again and would only stay on if I was pressing on the gas. I tried to start it again this morning and it ran for about 15 seconds but the rpms kept dipping very low. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it? Thanks guys.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPS or IAC sensor.

Word of advice.. take care of your truck otherwise it wont take care of you (running it low on fuel).

Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Weak batteries and/or bad battery connections can cause issues like that.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM
budah93
Rookie

it wasn't me that ran it low on gas, I let my mom borrow it and that's how I got it back, i wasn't happy but the IAC is under the throttle body correct?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The IAC is on the back of the throttle body, so you should be able to get it off with a short bit-driver or hex socket without having to remove the throttle body.

TPS is in the middle and the IAC is around the back (on the right in the pictures)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Sometimes when a battery goes dead, you need to reset all the values that were stored in the powertrain control module. You would need to either drive it to reset on it own or use a scanner to reset the values. But it wouldn't hurt to remove the throttle body and clean the Automatic Idle Speed Motor (AIS) most folks call it the IAC motor. Also replace the gasket too. You can try cleaning the AIS motor, but if you have a lot of miles on the engine, I would replace it. Make sure you have an O-ring on the motor when you install it back onto the throttle or you will have a vacuum leak.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
budah93
Rookie

got it figured out guys. Was just some bad battery terminals. runs great! Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Starting Issue