1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Horn stays on when running/headlights are on

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 PM
kevinch417
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn stays on when running/headlights are on

Driving home from work today with my headlines on, my horn started going off as one steady honk. I pulled over and turned off my car, tried the security button on my key fob...nothing worked.

Then after a minute, it stopped for a few seconds before honking steadily again. I noticed a click when the horn started (the same click I hear when turning on my headlights) and decided to try turning off the headlights. It worked!

Well, this is a major problem because it means I can't do any night time driving. Luckily it's getting darker later, so I can make it home if i leave work immediately at 5pm, but I can't let this issue sit.

When I got home and used the fob to lock the doors, instead of hte usual quick beep, it was about twice the duration.

Has anyone else ever had that problem? Could it just be that some water got into the wiring and it's a cheap fix?
Before anyone says to read the manual , I did look through it.
I can check the fuse/relayer/circuits on the horn and the exterior lights, the manual doesn't say anything about them being connected to each other in any way.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That sure is a weird electrical gremlin. Until you find the problem you can always pull the fuse for the horn (in the pdc I believe) to keep it from going off.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 AM
kevinch417
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I checked under the hood a day later and saw that the rubber thingy lining the hood had come off a little (I'm using highly technical terms) and so the melting ice must have gotten into the engine that way. It hasn't been a problem since then, although I made sure to find out how to remove the fuse for the horn in case it ever happens in the middle of the night while i'm driving.

Quick Reply: Horn stays on when running/headlights are on