1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

OBD-II commands

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 AM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD-II commands

I've got one of those BlueTooth OBD2 connectors and a fairly decent software that runs on my MacBook, and it has the ability to send commands "directly to the vehicle" I don't really know what all is supported and information on this is limited. I guess this is really a question for someone with experience using the more professional type scan tools/dealer tools that might know a bit more about this. My first question would be what all can I do with this? Such
as what sort of things can I command, the thing I'd really like todo for example is cause the ABS pump to run for bleeding the brake system completely for example, or send a command that will let me test relays or actuators controlled by the PCM or other computer. Is this what you can do with that or am I hoping for too much here? My second question would be where can I find a list of the various commands that can be sent? I may be completely misunderstanding what commands can be sent, but it seems very vague and I don't have a clue honestly.

Here's the software I've got:
http://www.obdautodoctor.com/tour

Last edited by Compactc9; 02-28-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

All the stuff you asked about doing with it sounds like things you'd have to have a DRB tool to do. OBD primarily just reads codes and sensor data, in these trucks at least.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ABS is controled via the ABS Module so you have to directly plug into it, not the OBD-II.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

There are other non-Chrysler dealer tools that can do this, as well as other calibration commands and such, obviously the DRB tool can do more, but there are others that do many of the same basic things. I suppose in order to try this and see I'd have to get someone who has access to such a tool who could find the commands it uses to do these things. I know that even though this software won't read ABS or SRS codes, you can use commands to do it provided you know the commands. Again I'd really like a list of the available commands so I can actually make use of this. I just can't seem to find these commands anywhere. I've also read that these things depend on the vehicle too. I'd really like to find a decent priced software for the ELM327 BlueTooth device that will read all the different codes. It seems that for software that can just read all the different codes you're stuck paying almost $1000, for that kind of money I could just caught up the money for Auto Ingenuity and get the ability to bleed the ABS system and all.

Last edited by Compactc9; 02-28-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

I think I will end up saving up and buying AutoEnginuity and going for the Chrysler enhanced interface. Sadly its not available for Mac OS, but I do have Windows installed in BootCamp so I can restart into Vista Ultimate and run this when I need.

Quick Reply: OBD-II commands