1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango starts in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
jacksonaxes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango starts in 2nd gear

I was leaving for work yesterday morning and noticed it moving a little sluggish, found out it is not starting in low gear. If I manually start in first gear it does, but after coming to a stop at a light it does not start in low unless I manually put it there. What do you think could be causing this?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonaxes
I was leaving for work yesterday morning and noticed it moving a little sluggish, found out it is not starting in low gear. If I manually start in first gear it does, but after coming to a stop at a light it does not start in low unless I manually put it there. What do you think could be causing this?

It could be a number of things. Rather than trowing parts at it and "hoping" it fixes it, i would take it to a good transmission place and have them do the proper testing and see what they tell you. based on what you said it does sound like its most likely is something electrical if you can manually shift it fine..

Last edited by Old_School; 05-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 PM
jacksonaxes

I checked it out a little further, and it actually starts in 3rd gear, and when on the freeway it does not kick down into passing gear when I mash the pedal, off to the tranny shop I guess. Sounds like a sensor maybe?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I would start with moving the shifter to low gear and move it up thru the gears. If the transmission upshifts as you move the shifter. Replace the governor and transducer solenoid and sensor. And adjust the bands if needed and change the filter too.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the transmission output sensor. Here is some more help. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-problems.html

Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 AM
jacksonaxes

Originally Posted by master tech
I would start with moving the shifter to low gear and move it up thru the gears. If the transmission upshifts as you move the shifter. Replace the governor and transducer solenoid and sensor. And adjust the bands if needed and change the filter too.
Replaced the solenoid and sensor, shifts great now, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango starts in 2nd gear