1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Blown Speaker, got a Mopar replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Blown Speaker, got a Mopar replacement

I've read all the stuff here about which speaker to get when one of the 6.5" Infinity 2 ohm jobs takes a dump. I'm still using the OEM amp. A rear one went a couple months ago, so I got a pair of the suggested 6032CS I think the CS model, whichever was the better choice recommended here. After install, I played with the fader to compare front/back was really disappointed.

Then a few days ago the left front one went. I pulled one of the 6032 rears and temp plugged it for the the bad front. Then I played with the balance, swinging left and right between the two. Wow, the 6032's really are crap compared to the OEM speakers. So, I ordered a single $102 OEM replacement from the dealer (maybe my 3rd dealer part for the truck since I bought it new 13 yrs ago). Yup, sounds great again, matches the original right front fine.

The backs are still the 6032's, but I'll live with that since I live in the front. A guy on eBay sells a set of 4 OEM ones for $325 with shipping. I almost went for that rather than the dealer, but I decided to help my wallet out and take the softer path, since my Jeep needs some Bilsteins soon.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
2kdurangoslt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for that amount of $$ id suggest getting a set or 2 of Infinity kappa 609CS . I have those both front and rear of my 01 R/T and it sounds excellent. Nice bass, crisp clear highs....much better than OEM.

edit: I have those reference 6032s in the rear of my 00 slt.... I agree they sound weak and are night/day to the kappa speakers.

Last edited by 2kdurangoslt; 07-23-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM
arcsja

Im running these in the front and back: Infinity KAPPA611I
Amazon.com : Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2-way Loudspeaker-Pair (Black) : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2-way Loudspeaker-Pair (Black) : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

They're better than i could have ever expected, installing them was a breeze with the mounts that it came with. Definitely worth a look

Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you "blow" the surrounds or the voice coils on the originals?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

I guess one thing that bothered me with all the aftermarket speakers is they are 2-way. That makes the bass side less effective since the center bass cone is missing to allow the big hole used for the tweeter part, and we already have a separate tweeter.

I even cut the tweeter line from my rear 6032's to make them base only, even though I suspect the only thing the OEM main amp feeds the large speakers is bass.

I guess I'm saying that I took a cost effective way out the first time with the rear and was very disappointed, thought it money wasted, so was gun shy to try it again on a different but similar set of replacements.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's why you get component speakers, you have the tweeter separate so that the driver can be focused on the lows while the tweeter does the highs.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
2kdurangoslt

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I suspect the only thing the OEM main amp feeds the large speakers is bass.
The oem amp does pass full frequencies to both the 6.5 speaker, and the tweeters. The tweeter has a filter capacitor on the back of it that filters the bass.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by 2kdurangoslt
The oem amp does pass full frequencies to both the 6.5 speaker, and the tweeters. The tweeter has a filter capacitor on the back of it that filters the bass.
I figured that would be the other likely method. I clipped the wire to the tweeter on the rear 6032's, making them 1-way, best I could do without buying dedicated woofers. I know this may seem like a kludge, but it works for my old ears. The OEM front is definitely better than the aftermarket rear.

Quick Reply: Blown Speaker, got a Mopar replacement