1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'99 Durango Trailer Fuse and Relay

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Bimmer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Durango Trailer Fuse and Relay (PROBLEM RESOLVED)

Well, a quick search produced nothing on this. I know that my trailer lights did work initially but then quickly quit on both the utility trailer and the boat trailer. If you'll remember, I'm the guy that doesn't know squat about wiring at all. I got a tester light to test the plug for my trailer but I'm not sure if I'm finding a suitable ground or not to test with. So far I come up with nothing as far as power to the plug. Next I went to the fusebox under the hood and upon first glance the fuse and the relay are missing.

That can't be possible if the trailer lights worked at one time, can it?

Where is the best ground back there to test the plug at?

If this weren't enough, remember about 7 or 8 months ago I had to replace the winch for the spare wheel. Well, I got under there to look for a ground and the wheel was gone and the cable was busted. Arrrrrrgggh! When it rains it pours!

Here is a pic showing both fuse and relay missing, and yet at one time they worked.

Attached Thumbnails '99 Durango Trailer Fuse and Relay-fusebox_zpsfc254ab7.jpg  

Last edited by Bimmer; 08-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

I just added the picture above.....bump! Anyone???

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you have the factory tow package or an aftermarket hitch?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

It says U-Haul on it so I guess it must be aftermarket. That would explain why there isn't a fuse or relay. Guess I'll have to find out what circuit that plug is on and check the fuse. Only way to do that I guess is pull every fuse until I find one that's bad.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
that_guy
Champion

You've probably got one of those harnesses that plugs into the backs of the tail lights then. If the lights on the truck are working you're not going to find a bad fuse in the truck, it's most likely an issue with the harness itself.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

I inspected the harness and not 6 inches from the plug I found 2 broken wires. I spliced those together with butt connectors but I'm still not getting any juice. The harness itself appears in good visual condition. I mean the shielding looks good. The only reason there were those two break is that it was where the wire had rubbed against a square-iron part of the hitch behind the bumper. Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot more checking. I know the extra harness wiring is gathered and ty-wrapped to keep it out of the way. Maybe one of those bends has a broken core wire.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Have you confirmed if your tail lights and brake lights work on your D?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer
I inspected the harness and not 6 inches from the plug I found 2 broken wires. I spliced those together with butt connectors but I'm still not getting any juice. The harness itself appears in good visual condition. I mean the shielding looks good. The only reason there were those two break is that it was where the wire had rubbed against a square-iron part of the hitch behind the bumper. Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot more checking. I know the extra harness wiring is gathered and ty-wrapped to keep it out of the way. Maybe one of those bends has a broken core wire.

Follow the harness to the front of the truck and see where it leads you. If its a aftermarket system, esp installed by U-haul there probably is a inline fuse somewhere in the wires. also wherever they spliced into could have came loose or off all together.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM
that_guy
Champion

It probably doesn't go to the front at all.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

From the plug the wires go a big plastic or rubber molded box. It's about 3" by 3" or perhaps a tad bit smaller but it's pretty good size.

As far as the lights on the Durango, they all work fine!

Maybe I can get some pics up tomorrow, so you can see what I'm looking at.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 Durango Trailer Fuse and Relay