1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango Hard Starting when Cool/Cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Danny in CO
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango Hard Starting when Cool/Cold

I have a 2003 4.7L Durango with 180K miles. At the end of last winter and now on cool mornings it has a starting problem. It will start and die after about 1 or 2 seconds. It will restart and again die after 1 to 2 seconds. After several attempts when just cool it will finally stay running. In cold weather (below freezing) I can't get it to stay running. Any ideas where I should start looking? There are no codes shown.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Danny in CO
Rookie

Bump. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Weak battery maybe. Clean the connections really well with a wire brush and see if that helps.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try holding the gas open as soon as it starts if that keeps it running it could be a weak battery or a bad IAC motor.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Danny in CO
Rookie

Still having this problem. I've swapped the ASD Relay with the Horn Relay. Same problem. Cleaned the battery connection really well. Same problem. Had battery checked. It's good (only 2 years old).

I have tried giving it gas as soon as it starts. It still dies like to key was turned off.

When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If I turn the key of and then back on I hear the fuel pump run again for a few seconds. Is this normal.

After trying to start it several times and it keeps dieing, then the starter doesn't kick in. I changed the ignition switch last winter. Could it be causing the problem?

Any ideas? I'm completely lost with this problem.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your fuel pump has a mandatory shut off if the engine isn't running after a few seconds. The reason is in case of an accident it shuts it down so fuel doesn't spill and cause fires.....ect

Most likely you need to remove your Throttle Body and give it a good clean job. Use 2 cans of Throttle Body cleaner and a tooth brush. Clean out all the ports and remove any electronics. Re-install and try it again.

If it still is hard starting then replace the IAC.

If it's still hard starting replace the spark plugs with cheap Champion Copper OEM plugs and gap to .040 before installing.

Also check your air cleaner and pipes leading in and out for mouse nests or blockages.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Danny in CO
Rookie

I finally took my Durango to a repair shop. They said the problem with the starting is the non-factory key I am using. I leave the key in the Durango and use the key fob to unlock the doors. They said that something in the key gets too cold and the security system shuts down the Durango. We will see when I get it back.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango Hard Starting when Cool/Cold