1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Durango Resurrection Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to straighten the front part of the frame out on mine, all of the bending was ahed of everything, really limited to the parts the bumper bolts to. It really could stand a little better straightening, my bumper is just a little off and crooked. That's exciting with that Shelby, I'd love to get one someday.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:41 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So this thread has not been forgotten. I have done a bunch of work to the shelby based on things hemifever needed for converting it to run on sct instead of the kenne bell setup the PO had removed on recommendation of a shop that had no idea on what the f#%@ they were doing and blew up the motor because of it. So that rant out of the way here is what is needed:
42lb/hr injectors, these are double the factory size
GM style 2bar map sensor (half the voltage output of factory), factory is a 1 bar
Wideband O2 sensor for monitoring as you drive and for datalogging purposes
SCT handheld capable of data logging, software for getting logs to your computer this is free on sct website

The purpose of the new map sensor is so that the factory tune can run while not under boost. With the new injector dumping in twice as much fuel for the same amount of time the new map sensor effectively cuts the injector pulse time in half. So it should run perfect at idle. But it didn't, after it warmed up it would lean out past 19:1 at times and killing it. It would hesitate really bad sometimes when driving and have no power. So after talking with sean at hemifever we were kind of stumped until I noticed it was low on coolant. The motor has only 400miles and had consumed almost 2 gallons of coolant. I all came to a head when I came home after a car show and when I started within a few minutes to move it and all sorts of white smoke. So my best friend had a test to do. Its a chemical solution that you place over the radiator and as air bubbles passes through it will change color to indicate combustion gases. It took all but 10 seconds to change color (he said it normally takes a few minutes). Well pulled the heads and the head gasket had failed in three spots on the passenger side, drivers side was fine. Two coolant leaks and one oil leak to the combustion chamber on cylinders 4, 6, 8. 8 was the oil leak and had melted the electrode on the spark plug. The heads are currently in the local machine shop getting checked over. I'll update on what we do from there.

Last edited by adukart; 05-18-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:30 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Well I replaced the head gasket on the shelby already and put on some Engine Quest heads. Went with the iron ones with 1.92" valves. But now that it runs ok, still have some tuning to do with hemifever possibly, my brother and I did a full paint correction on it today. Took 10hrs, finished it off with some Ammo Reflex coating.

Name:  DSC_0293_zpsesrqutar.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  291.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0294_zpsuzvluyrj.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  288.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0306_zpshabcbd7e.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  254.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0308_zpsxf8f1n48.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0320_zps8hw1vqtd.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  289.0 KB

Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Gotta love intense blue

Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Its actually a little darker than intense blue, its actually viper blue. I thought it was intense blue as well but here it is next to my intense blue ram. It wasn't til I bought the ram I looked up what color it actually was.

Name:  shelby%20and%20ram%201_zpsjyzcx1ea.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  336.2 KB

Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe in person I could see the difference, but in the picture I sure can't.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of a phrase a computer programming professor I had in college used to say.....

SEXY OUTPUT!

Well done!

Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gvsu4msu
Reminds me of a phrase a computer programming professor I had in college used to say.....

SEXY OUTPUT!

Well done!
Thank you.

In brighter light the difference is visible, those were taken before sunset. Now once the tuning is done I will start the red one this thread was originally based. I will get a video up eventually of the shelby 0-60 when its tuned.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

So after months of datalogging and new tunes I replace every sensor that affect spark and fuel except the cam sensor, this is no exaggeration. Turns out my brand new msd coil was bad causing weak spark. Once the 2bar map got plumbed correctly it couldn't rev above 3000rpm. Then I replaced the coil with a factory one and it was much better. Then sean noticed it was pulling timing out randomly. So I replace the crank sensor and holy can it move out. It spins them pretty good off the line. I put in in awd one time an from idle I punched it. Felt like getting hit in the gut. It doesn't have the top end power because its still factory cam and intake manifold but up to 3000rpm it is tremendous. I haven't been in something that launches that hard since I drove a brand new srt grand cherokee last summer. I read somewhere that with the kenne bell supercharger on rams and stock intakes and cams they produce around 450ft lbs at 300rpm, they had dyno sheets to show it, and I believe it. I'll get a video up sometime, I have to figure out how to get it off my phone. I have to give a shout out to Sean at hemifever. He worked with me for 9 months through blown head gaskets and every sensor under the sun, or should I say hood, without any extra fees even after I put different heads on when the head gaskets got blown.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Quick Reply: My Durango Resurrection Thread