1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 durango 5.9L 2wd not starting initially, then starts and runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 AM
kc111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 durango 5.9L 2wd not starting initially, then starts and runs fine

I have searched and searched for answers to our dilemma and there always seems to be some differentiating details when trying to compare to the complaints that others have had in regards to their durango not starting.

Our 2000 dodge durango 5.9L 2wd truck takes a very long time to start. usually in the mornings, or when the truck has been sitting for a long period of time, we try to start it and it just does NOT completely turn on. it sounds like its about to start, but it just wont do it the first time. we have to turn the key to off again and when we try a second time, it usually starts, but I really want to know where to look for the problem.

first and foremost, we cannot diagnose with the code machines because apparently we have the wrong computer chip in our truck. codes pop up that don't even exist for us.

things we have done to the car since this problem began:
oil change, new battery, new starter, new alternator, new ignition coil, and even made sure the battery cables / wires were connected correctly (we had an issue last year where the cables were shaken loose from the battery and caused our truck to die mid-drive).

anyway, we have no idea where else to go. we took the truck to a mechanic and left it overnight, but he said that it didn't stall or delay or have any problems starting in the morning so there was really nothing he could do to diagnose the problem, especially with our computer being incorrect.

can someone maybe point us in the right direction? im thinking we may have a sensor or relay problem, but i dont know how to check and my husband is just getting fed up with the amount of time we're putting into this truck. please help!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 AM
kc111

I forgot to add - we also changed the spark plugs since the problem started.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Does holding the gas down some help it start and stay running?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ensure you replaced the spark plugs with the cheap Champion Copper plug and gap to .040 before install.

Could be the wires, I suggest MSD 8.5mm Red. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-ignition.html

Remove your throttle body and clean it out, possibly your IAC is bad too but clean it first: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ttle-body.html

Could be your battery or connections. Have the battery load tested and clean those connections.

Could be a weak fuel pump. Before starting hold the key in the "Run" position for about 4-5 seconds then turn to "Start". This will prime the fuel rail if the check valve is going out in it. If this is the issue then drop the tank and replace the entire fuel pump. I like to see fuel pressure around 50 psi both throttle open and idle. Measure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Could be a bad pre-cat O2 sensor, but I wouldn't go this far yet.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
kc111

Thank you guys for your quick response. As far as I know, I'm not sure if pressing on the gas really makes a difference. The next time we start it up and it hesitates to start I'll try it again and really pay notice.

We did change the spark plugs just recently and I sized them all myself so I know the gap is at .40, but we will go ahead and switch out the spark plug wires and see if that changes anything.

I'll let you know if that works or if anything changes. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I would then start with the Throttle Body.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 PM
kc111

awesome link there with the step by step. we've never done a throttle body cleaning before and i looked up some pictures. we are by no means mechanics, but just like to learn as we go. it looks pretty easy to access and get done, but I'm just curious - how do I get the sensors off? i know the sensor connectors just clip on and off, but I don't want to try and get the sensors off incorrectly... ? also, will I be needing any specific tool to get them off? thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:30 PM
kc111

we changed out the ignition wires, still hesitates to start initially, so we'll be cleaning out the throttle body this week on the next day off.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Just take them off and pay attention, it's pretty straight forward.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 PM
kc111

I NEED HELP!!! today we cleaned out the throttle body. seemed easy enough, but when we were removing the vacuum line, the rubber end snapped off. we put everything back together. it seemed to go well. i went to autozone to buy a new vacuum line. they didnt have the piece and just gave me tubing to reconnect the line. we put it on. wrong size. air was shooting out of there. got a smaller size and it seemed snug enough, but when i drove it, the truck wouldnt pick up speed. it got to about 10mph, then i had to floor it to get to 25. it never went above 30 mph. what the heck do i do!? this is our only vehicle!!!

Quick Reply: 2000 durango 5.9L 2wd not starting initially, then starts and runs fine