1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

45RFE Transmission Range Sensor

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Lyniaer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45RFE Transmission Range Sensor

Okay, so, I'm ready to punch a lot of people and I need someone to hold me back.

I took my mother's Durango into the shop for an Insp/Emis and Front Alignment after I did the balljoints and tie rod inner/outer ends.
The reverse lights wouldn't come on for them. They futsed with it for about three days before they finally called me and told me about it. I told them they need to replace the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch). It's on the drivers side of the transmission, probably a 3 or 5-wire plug.

Can't find it. Can't find it. Can't find it. Replaced the farking Brake Module (which can't be unreplaced for some idiotic reason) because "that's what the dealership told us to do".

So I went over and looked for it myself and realized that it was part of the main solenoid block inside of the valve body.

Here's my dilemma. Does the entire solenoid block need replaced or can I switch out the TRS on the solenoid block? It's a difference of about $200 just for reverse lights.

Vehicle is a 2002 D'ango SLT 4x2 4.7 Modular.
This is the part I would like to replace: 56045489AC
This is the part I might have to replace: 52119435AF

List of people to punch:
Fairfield Dodge Montoursville PA
Woods Garage Williamsport PA
Everyone at Chrysler

Old 07-03-2015, 09:48 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Shoot MasterTech a pm, he's our resident transmission expert. If I knew anything about the newer electronic transmissions I'd help you.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Guerra (05-02-2021)
Old 11-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Lyniaer
Amateur

So, this was sorted out. I replaced the entire solenoid block, updating to the new 5-45RFE solenoid and TRS plate. Works great. Now we're running into hesitation while stopping with foot-on-brake. Replaced the MAP sense for S&G's ($12...ow, hurt me). I want to believe it's the Torque Converter, but the issue is so intermittent that my tranny tech wasn't convinced.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 PM
dj_bones
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation i HAVE THE NO START ANSWER

ALL YOU OUT THERE WITH THE NO START, NO POWER TO ANYTHING ISSUE!!!!!!!!:IT IS THE TORQUE CONVERTER CONTROL SOLENOID SHORTING OUT. IT IS SETTING OFF THE EMERGENCY SHUT OFF RELAY. UNPLUG THE CONTROL SOLENOID AND IT SHOULD START RIGHT UP!

The following users liked this post:
gmyhilo (09-07-2020)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Lyniaer
Amateur

It definitely was the Torque Converter that was causing the stutter/hesitation/stalling. Unfortunately on the 45RFE's, every single thing relating to the transmission is packed into the one solenoid pack. You unplug this, the transmission doesn't work at all. There's no separate plug for the Torque Converter Control.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:53 PM
Jay_84

2001 Dodge Dakota
I'm having trouble fitting my finger behind 2 hoses to feel what is holding this on where the red circle is. I have taken out the cable and the screw that fits into space on the black clip but can't seem to pull this out so I assume something is holding it on at the marked metal area.
Is there a bolt or clip here usually? I can't see it or get my finger on it from where I am when I'm under it (trucks blocked on jack stands).

Old 06-23-2021, 10:37 AM
lisukovigor492

There may be problems with the torque converter, but it seems to me that you chose an old branch slick

Last edited by lisukovigor492; 09-20-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:06 PM
JohnnyOffRoad84

this is my first time on here sorry I have no idea how to pm anyone

Old 07-25-2021, 04:07 PM
4.7 Jonesin

Originally Posted by dj_bones
ALL YOU OUT THERE WITH THE NO START, NO POWER TO ANYTHING ISSUE!!!!!!!!:IT IS THE TORQUE CONVERTER CONTROL SOLENOID SHORTING OUT. IT IS SETTING OFF THE EMERGENCY SHUT OFF RELAY. UNPLUG THE CONTROL SOLENOID AND IT SHOULD START RIGHT UP!
ya uh- huh I kinda doubt that statement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 45RFE Transmission Range Sensor