1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Matt-06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant overflow tank

Hello everyone,

So I walked out to my truck this morning and noticed liquid spot on the ground located about where the overflow tank sits. I smelled it and it was coolant.

I have had an internal leak fixed few months ago and had the truck tested for head gaskets and they are just fine everything in good working order. Same with radiator cap and hoses and have right amount of coolant in truck.

But my overflow tank for some reason keeps alot of coolant in it causing it to overflow. My truck dosnt overheat and the temp stays right where it should as it never overheats. It hasn't done this since it started to get a little colder (I live in michigan). I pop the hood and see the dried splatter so I know where it's coming from.

Just looking to see if anyone has had this issue or knows why it does that. Why is the overflow keeping more coolant even though truck is running perfectly fine??

Just seeing if this is something to worry about or not? When I took it in that first time for internal leak the mechanics were confused as to why it was doing that but fixed the leak and my truck stopped overheating. But even before and after it still always had a high level in overflow.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it coming from the drain on the overflow jug? If so it's probably just too full.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1, if its just the overflow drain that its coming from the cause is probably someone overfilling the overflow.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Matt-06

Originally Posted by that_guy
Is it coming from the drain on the overflow jug? If so it's probably just too full.
But why is my coolant pooling in my over tank is what I'm asking. I know it's not overfilled. The coolant always seems to pool into tank.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Matt-06

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
+1, if its just the overflow drain that its coming from the cause is probably someone overfilling the overflow.
But why is my coolant pooling in my over tank is what I'm asking. I know it's not overfilled. The coolant always seems to pool into tank.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM
that_guy
Champion

Because that's what it's supposed to do. When the coolant heats up it expands and some goes into the overflow tank. When it cools back off it sucks some back from the tank.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Matt-06

Because that's what it's supposed to do. When the coolant heats up it expands and some goes into the overflow tank. When it cools back off it sucks some back from the tank.
I understand how it works. But mine is always on the high side and just pools there.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
that_guy
Champion

Well it's gonna stay high unless you take some out. What's the level on the dipstick like when the engine is cold?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Matt-06

Well it's gonna stay high unless you take some out. What's the level on the dipstick like when the engine is cold?
I've had it completely drained and then refilled to appropriate levels and it still does it. There's no air or leaks in the system it just seems to gather in the overflow and not sure why. Everyone I ask is clueless.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:16 PM
that_guy
Champion

Well unless there is air in your cooling system or some other fluid getting it, the total volume of it isn't going to change. Keep an eye on all fluids (including transmission), but if you're not overheating I don't think there's much to do about it. You can run a piece of 1/2" tube from the drain on it down to the splash guard or something so it doesn't get all over everything.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow tank