1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ac compressor runs even with heater on

Old 10-04-2016, 04:37 PM
jparfait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor runs even with heater on

hey everyone I have a question about my ac when I use my heater the ac compressor runs to? is it supposed to run when you want heat any help would be much appreciated

Old 10-04-2016, 08:36 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What setting do you have the HVAC on? The a/c runs on the two a/c settings, bi-level, and the two defrost settings.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:16 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when car is in defrost mode, or mix mode...compressor cycles to keep all internals oiled and working.Plus, when AC compressor runs in winter, it helps with faster defogging of front windshield...condenser removes water vapor from the air faster when AC is on.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:52 PM
that_guy
Champion

I'm pretty sure it running has nothing to do with keeping the a/c oil circulating, but you're right about the defrost though. Some early 98s had a snowflake for the a/c on the bi-level position.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Well without typing it all out I will just give you a link of a previous discussion on this topic.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ff-at-all.html

Far as being told that a/c cycling is not for lubrication as well I would suggest pulling the A/c fuse, you will be replacing the seals soon.

Last edited by schusterjo; 10-06-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
that_guy
Champion

I don't see anything in that thread suggesting that the compressor comes on just to circulate oil. All that seems to be being discussed there is how much the a/c should cycle in normal operation. For what it's worth mine doesn't seem to cycle, but it's normally very hot most of the year, so the load in the system is high. Anyway, I don't think that's at all relevant to what the op is asking.

And what are you talking about as far as replacing seals? Are suggesting not to run your a/c because it will wear out seals? If so that's just ridiculous.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by that_guy
I don't see anything in that thread suggesting that the compressor comes on just to circulate oil. All that seems to be being discussed there is how much the a/c should cycle in normal operation. For what it's worth mine doesn't seem to cycle, but it's normally very hot most of the year, so the load in the system is high. Anyway, I don't think that's at all relevant to what the op is asking.

And what are you talking about as far as replacing seals? Are suggesting not to run your a/c because it will wear out seals? If so that's just ridiculous.
Never said it comes on specifically to lubricate, it's part of the process.

No, I did not say not to run your a/c because it will ruin the seals.. What I said is the exact opposite of that. You said cycling (a/c clutch engaging on and off) has nothing to do with lubrication when in fact it's part of the process when a A/c clutch is engaged.
My suggestion to you was if you don't believe it's part of the process try removing the fuse that allows the A/c clutch to operate and see how long that works out for you.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 PM
that_guy
Champion

Nothing you are saying makes any sense. The refrigerant oil circulates when the compressor is running, and obviously the compressor can only run when the clutch is engaged. And again, none of that is relevant to what the op asked.

I don't know what you expect pulling a fuse for the clutch is going to accomplish other than having the a/c not run.

The following users liked this post:
iaff801 (03-05-2022)
Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by that_guy
Nothing you are saying makes any sense. The refrigerant oil circulates when the compressor is running, and obviously the compressor can only run when the clutch is engaged. And again, none of that is relevant to what the op asked.

I don't know what you expect pulling a fuse for the clutch is going to accomplish other than having the a/c not run.
Funny that you say it doesn't make sense because now you seem to understand that when the clutch is engaged it is also lubricating ( not really what you said in the previous comment)

When it comes to addressing the OP question explaining the process is in fact relevant, lubrication is part of that process.

Pulling the fuse was directed towards you when you said lubrication has nothing to do with it, pulling that fuse will cause premature seal failure.

Anyways I am done with this childish bickering.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Anyways I am done with this childish bickering.
I've been in a lot of threads with that_guy, never any bickering. Maybe it's you?

The following users liked this post:
iaff801 (03-05-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ac compressor runs even with heater on