1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 V8 5.9 dead after 2 hours from jump start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Turmoilx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V8 5.9 dead after 2 hours from jump start

i have this annoying puzzle i cant figure out i dont have much experience so looking for help here

today i replaced the wires going to the battery fuse box and alternator+starter now it starts and runs after being jump started

before i hooked the jump starters even to the + and - cables themselves and got nothing so did said above , it seemed to help but has not fixed the problem of it dieing after 2 hours off a jump start. iv had auto zone test the starter alternator and battery and they all tested good

any ideas? also need to get the driver side valve gasket fixed its leaky need to figure out why it cant keep a charge though first ??

edit update: also forgot to say, i have tested every fuse and relay too.. they're all good, unless there is some in the cabin that i dont know about but i dont think there is, i have run out of ideas.

Last edited by Turmoilx; 05-29-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the battery voltage while it's running at high idle. If the battery is really that poor it needs to be jump started, the Alt should be pushing out high voltage while running. If it's not, might be a bad Alt.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and you have a good connection to the battery.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Turmoilx

Originally Posted by Moparite
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and you have a good connection to the battery.
they're new since yesterday

Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Turmoilx

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Check the battery voltage while it's running at high idle. If the battery is really that poor it needs to be jump started, the Alt should be pushing out high voltage while running. If it's not, might be a bad Alt.
well looks like im going to be investing in a auto scanner and power probe because those parts are good^ as said in first post

Last edited by Turmoilx; 06-01-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have a parasitic draw. If you know what you're doing you can test for that pretty easily with a meter then start pulling fuses one at a time. You shouldn't have more than maybe .1 amp draw.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Turmoilx

Originally Posted by Mean Green
You may have a parasitic draw. If you know what you're doing you can test for that pretty easily with a meter then start pulling fuses one at a time. You shouldn't have more than maybe .1 amp draw.
i havent ordered those fancy tools yet kinda thinking to myself yeah get them and at the same time do i really need them, anyway im not sure what to do because the battery gets flattened in about 10 seconds after turning the key and all this time i cant get the starter to crank would a bad relay cause any of this? i dont think i checked them correctly not sure how

Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You never mentioned the condition of the battery, new/old? You could just swap that and I suspect your problems will go away.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Fuzzbuster71

Your alternator should charge 13.8-14.8 volts. It sounds like a bad battery to me especially if you've replaced the wiring. Don't ever trust autozone to test a battery or charging system..... you need to have a real shop run a load test on both the charging system and the battery individually. If your battery is bad the alternator should be pushing near peak amps for what the output is. Just my two cents.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to look back. I thought he had a new battery. Go that direction first for sure.