1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DTC P0344 Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC P0344 Help

Hey guys, been battling this code for about 2 weeks and can't figure it out.

2003 Durango SXT 4x4 with about 212,xxx miles on it.

DTC P0344

I replaced the cam sensor 3 times, 2 with local AutoZone parts and finally 1 with a Mopar sensor from the local dealer. I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor with a Mopar one.
I tested the the pigtail going to the cam sensor and noticed it was frayed, spliced in a new pigtail and tested. 5v from PCM, and 4.98v signal wire. I also isolated the battery for a few hours before I installed the new sensors by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.

Tonight I drove it around my block a few times to see if the check engine light would pop up, and nothing. Finally felt comfortable that it was finally fixed and took it on a main road and boom! The check engine light came on for p0344.

Some help and advice will be greatly appreciated with my trouble code.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM
ricksss96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give this a try. The P0344 says this is 'Interm' or intermittent problem and that is clearly what you are seeing after your sensor replacement. Repairing the frayed harness seemed like it was the obvious solution. I would suspect there are more problems in the harness, intermittent shorts or opens, so inspect the rest of harness carefully. Also there could be a problem in the connector to the sensor itself. Pull the connector and inspect it carefully. Also check the PCM connector that carries this signal. If you are good with electrical testing, connect an ohm meter across the sensor output line to the PCM, then flex the harness carefully and watch the ohm meter, this can detect an open circuit condition.

Good luck.