1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 no start

Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM
alwayslearning84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 no start

I have a 2001 Durango with 178000 miles. I started getting a P0202 Fuel injector fault put in a new injector and no change. I had a leaking power steering pump and read in a few threads that it can cause a fuel injector faults so I fixed but did not find any issues with wiring that the pump leaked on. I went to the PCM to start checking wires and it was full of some kind of oil I checked the wires to the fuel injectors and ohms were good so I assumed the fault was in the PCM itself. I changed out with a salvage PCM and now it is cranking but not starting. security light is on and I am getting transmission codes. I did realize that the salvage PCM is from a 5.9L and I have the 4.7L but not sure if that would keep it from starting. The PCM I got was a refurb unit but looks like it is from Chrysler. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Jeff

Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Two completely different engines and transmissions. The 5.9 PCM is going to have no clue what to do with a 4.7, and it most certainly won't have a clue about trans either. That PCM simply isn't going to work.

I am REAL curious how oil got to the PCM connectors though......

Welcome to DF!

Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM
alwayslearning84

This is my first Chrysler product in years so I'm starting from scratch. Could that PCM be reprogrammed to work with the 4.7 or do I need to find a different one? I bought it used but it ran great for the past few months I've owned it. It might not be oil it may just be nasty water that has turned brown from sitting in the PCM.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

No, I don't think it will be that easy. Need to find one for the correct engine/trans combo.

Might try cleaning the connectors, and the old PCM, plugging it back in, and see if anything changes....

Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 on cleaning up and using the old PCM to see what happens.

whoever sold you the 5.9 PCM should have known better as well, i want to know what scammer sold you that claiming it would work.

as for power steering fluid, i hvae heard of it wicking through the harness to oxygen sensors, but not to fuel injectors. you could have ALOT of wire harness to clean power steering fluid out of if that is what happened tho.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM
alwayslearning84

Unfortunately that's not an option. I sent it off to an online company that rebuilds PCM's and they screwed it up.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
alwayslearning84

I sold myself that PCM. It was pick n pull and I figured 01 Durango v8 and bought it. My fault but life goes on. Only $20 at pick n pull so I'm not that upset about it.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alwayslearning84
Unfortunately that's not an option. I sent it off to an online company that rebuilds PCM's and they screwed it up.
I sold myself that PCM. It was pick n pull and I figured 01 Durango v8 and bought it. My fault but life goes on. Only $20 at pick n pull so I'm not that upset about it.
What about sending the original to be rebuilt IF cleaning connections doesn’t fix your issue? And it’s the last resort I would think. I’m just not too sure about sending them off to be rebuilt. Don’t have any experience with that. But yes for further issues you may have, they introduced the 4.7 later with a new transmission and it’s not part of the same engine family as the 5.9 and 5.2. And these trucks are extremely temperamental when it comes to changing the ecm and ctm. I know the ctm has to be a perfect match or you will have problems. But I’m not sure how picky the ecm is.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM
alwayslearning84

My original PCM is unrepairable as the mother board is cracked. I will go to a few salvage yards this week and hopefully find one that will work.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My original PCM is unrepairable as the mother board is cracked. I will go to a few salvage yards this week and hopefully find one that will work.
Oh okay. Well that would probably be your best bet then I guess unless you want to get a new one

Search this Thread