1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fuel sync/distributor problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:54 PM
diRTy_durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sync/distributor problem

I've got an issue where my 01 Durango RT is backfiring, running rough, hesitating, etc.

Background
Started off with leaky timing cover gasket, and while they were in there, I had them do a double roller timing chain and gear.
Ran great for several month, of 3-4 times a week driving. Maybe 6-8 months later, ended up with a P0340 (no cam sig at pcm) and P1391 CEL . I replaced both the cam and crank sensors, and it ran fine for a while, although the P0340 would sometimes come back on.

One day while driving, I floored it, and noticed it acted like it was bucking/backfiring at WOT. At non WOT it was fine. I ended up flooring it again to pass some jerkface was doing 45 in the left lane on the highway, and it felt like something gave a little. At this point, it was hesitating/running rough all the time, not just at WOT.

I couldn't seem to solve it, so I took it in to a shop. They confirmed that it IS running out of synch, there is definitely a spark problem. They aren't sure if the dist is bad, or the PCM is bad, and asked if the distributor had ever been out of the car. It hasn't since I have owned it for four years.

I asked if they could adjust the distributor at all, and they said no, that I am looking at a new distributor for ~$500 parts/labor. I don't think that is correct, bc doesn't part of putting in a new dist require adjusting the dist slightly, so that the timing lines up within a certain range, and then the fuel synch completed with by the PCM/ECM?

My questions then become: 1) is it worth trying to resync the current distributor? 2) Scale of 1-10, how difficult is it R/R a distributor. I've removed carbs and rebuilt them, if that gives you an idea of my experience. 3) If it's currently out of synch, do I need to worry about making sure the dist, housing, manifold are marked correctly, or should I just be finding TDC, making sure the cap/rotor is lined up correctly?

I appreciate any advice and direction you can give on this.
-D

Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Fuel sync can only be accurately set with a scan tool that can read it. So, any decent shop should be able to deal with it.

I am going to guess that you went with aftermarket sensors though..... and these trucks just don't like 'em. Think the first thing I would do is replace both sensors with Mopar units, either from the dealer, or wherever you can find genuine mopar parts online. (online will likely be cheaper.) Once those are changed, see how it runs...... if it is still wonky, take it to a small shop, and have fuel sync checked/set. See what happens from there.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 350 Likes on 330 Posts

#1 cylinder at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you can, its called indexing the distributor. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-please.html

Quick Reply: Fuel sync/distributor problem