1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

engine died 2 miles after oil change no crank now

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM
drose977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine died 2 miles after oil change no crank now

Had my oil changed at "5 minute oil change" and check engine light came on 2 miles later. Noticed ticking noise that was not there before oil change. Engine died as I was turning into my driveway and will not restart. Won't even turn over. Checked dipstick and it is about 3 inches over safe mark. Didn't notice any smoke from tailpipe. Can't drive it back to oil change shop because it won't start.. I have 168K miles on my 1998 5.2L which I bought new. What should I do?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drose977
What should I do?
Not a wiseazz answer, but change your own oil. These 'oil change place disaster' stories are way too frequent. What to do now, call the oil place and give them what-for.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

So why is the oil over full? Is it *just* oil? Or is their coolant, or gas, mixed in there as well? I would not suggest touching ANYTHING beyond doing investigations at this point. If the oil change place screwed it up, they owe you a motor. (and small claims court will get you one.)

Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by drose977
Checked dipstick and it is about 3 inches over safe mark.
Three inches over safe? That would mean the oil was extremely overfilled. Pour in enough oil and the oil will reach the crankshaft. The crankshafts whips the oil into a froth. The oil pump is now starved because you're pumping frothy air bubbles instead of liquid, so the effect is the same as if you ran it with little to no oil.

I agree with the change your own oil sentiment. But, if you let someone else do it, at least check it before you leave the place. These places do all kinds of crap. Loose oil filters and bungs, missing oil caps, forgetting to put ANY oil in or overfilling.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

one option- have it towed to a shop. If the problem is related to the oil change...you have a professional diagnosis to support a claim against the lube shop. Speak to the manager of the lube shop with the results of the diagnosis...if they won't correct it.... Expert opinions go a long way if you have a day in court. Go after then for the damage and any related costs...diagnosis, rentals.

if you used lube shops...at minimum, do an oil change and inspection once a year at a shop that has licensed mechanics....to check suspension and brakes.

Last edited by primem; 09-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 AM
drose977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mystery solved---I called the 5 min. lube place and they sent out their manager who got it to start up again. Seems the engine died possibly due to a loose battery cable not allowing the alternator to charge it completely. When I checked the oil I was on a hill causing an inaccurate reading.... silly me. Once on flat ground oil level was fine. Fired back up with no check engine light but did have a check GAUGES light and saw that my oil gauge was at zero. Probably the oil pressure sensor is bad. Wanted to provide an update and to say how impressed I was that the "Take 5" shop. They are first class for sending someone to my house to get it going, and for no charge.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Alls well that ends well?

Old 09-09-2018, 02:01 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an excellent example of how a polite (but kinda firm) phone call gets a much better response than a lunatic rant.

Glad it is OK!

Quick Reply: engine died 2 miles after oil change no crank now