1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Front Brakes locking under heavy braking w/rw abs only

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
ha i hear ya, my RAM requires a gentle touch to get going in heavy rain or snow without spinning, going with a set of cooper discoverer at3s when these are shot, which will probably be fall of 19, the damn wranglers wear like iron.

as for tires aging out, id say they heat cycle out long before the age out, at least if you do any amount of driving that puts some heat into them (highway driving puts a surprising amount of heat into tires believe it or not), im convinced that my 18 month old tires on my challenger are heat cycled out with only 8 or 9k miles on them :/ (its my toy and gets used for performance driving so the tires do see more heat than street driving)
I can see that, but they do have an age limit still. I've got Toyo Open Country A/T's on my other truck and they've been amazing tires. I'm at like 53,000 miles and they're still the best rain tires I have between all 3 vehicles I drive regularly, which is sad because my A/T's outperform Good Year Highway treads in the rain

The compound on mine are still rubbery. Haven't really hardened like a lot of tires I've had in the past, specifically cheaper tires. Had them since February of 2015. Lot of highway driving. If we go on a trip, that's the truck that goes as well, so it's loaded down doing 75 for hours straight

Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

Did they ever put 4W ABS in the AWD trucks? I was under the assumption that with AWD they could only use it on the rear and the part time 4WD models got 4W ABS.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by b1lk1
Did they ever put 4W ABS in the AWD trucks? I was under the assumption that with AWD they could only use it on the rear and the part time 4WD models got 4W ABS.
I can't answer. I don't know why they wouldn't though. I have part time 4WD and have RWABS. I was under the impression that 4WABS was just a higher trim option they did.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

It doesn't matter how many drive wheels you have, you can still have 4WAL. Just need the sensors, and the motor/controller.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yes they did

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
I can see that, but they do have an age limit still. I've got Toyo Open Country A/T's on my other truck and they've been amazing tires. I'm at like 53,000 miles and they're still the best rain tires I have between all 3 vehicles I drive regularly, which is sad because my A/T's outperform Good Year Highway treads in the rain

The compound on mine are still rubbery. Haven't really hardened like a lot of tires I've had in the past, specifically cheaper tires. Had them since February of 2015. Lot of highway driving. If we go on a trip, that's the truck that goes as well, so it's loaded down doing 75 for hours straight
thats what happens when they use a good rubber compound instead of building a budget tire. My experience lately (with car tires especially) is that when they get worn they get LOUD, and thats a pretty good signal to replace them.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
thats what happens when they use a good rubber compound instead of building a budget tire. My experience lately (with car tires especially) is that when they get worn they get LOUD, and thats a pretty good signal to replace them.
Exactly. Now they were $1,020 for the set (285/75/16) but totally worth it. And when you break down mileage vs price, the "expensive" tires really are cheaper.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:53 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

I'm not very impressed with these Michelins, for 4yr old tires they have alot of weather checking and cracking and we all know that means UV overexposure and that the compound is not what it was when new.

Biggest problem is the best "cheap" set of tires I have priced so far start at $1500CAD installed......

Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

I'm not very impressed with these Michelins, for 4yr old tires they have alot of weather checking and cracking and we all know that means UV overexposure and that the compound is not what it was when new.

Biggest problem is the best "cheap" set of tires I have priced so far start at $1500CAD installed......
Cheap?... why is it so expensive up there? I put cheap mud tires on mine for $700USD. Is it just that much more expensive for everything up there?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

Start out with our dollar being worth $.75 in the US and the import fees/taxes really add up. AUto parts are on average 40% more expensive up here. It is ridiculous.

I can get China tires for $800, but I wouldn't throw them in the fire never mind on my car.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Start out with our dollar being worth $.75 in the US and the import fees/taxes really add up. AUto parts are on average 40% more expensive up here. It is ridiculous.

I can get China tires for $800, but I wouldn't throw them in the fire never mind on my car.
Yeah I looked at the conversion rate but the import fees but be ridiculous.

Honestly, I've always felt the Durango pushes too much fluid to the front wheels, especially for a RWABS vehicle. Seems a bit disproportionate. The fronts lock up easily. Tires help obviously, but at some point you have to blame the brakes some as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with yours, I just think dodge didn't proportion them very well

Quick Reply: 2003 Front Brakes locking under heavy braking w/rw abs only