1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Failed SMOG and Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:18 AM
krazybob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed SMOG and Exhaust Leak

Last year it cost me over $1000 to pass a SMOG test. They replaced the computer and still every time they a diagnostic to see if their work fixed the problem they charged me another $117. Sounds like BS to me since just over a month after the work was complete the Check Engine light came back on and has stayed back on. I have CarMD and it told me the code and it indicated the emission system. I am assuming that the exhaust/muffler is part of the emission system.

Before I had that SMOG test I backed too far into a snow berm and the exhaust broke right where it enters the baffle. It also broke the welded hanger off. I bought a replacement for that but that isn't an issue. Could this have caused the emission failure code? The code was

P0456: EVAP Small Leak (0.020") Detected
Generic Definition:
Code P0456 indicates that the Evaporative Emission System had a very small leak for a predetermined period of time.
I now have a FIXD that I have yet to use. But I am disabled and broke. I bought some muffler tape with the intention of wrapping enough of it around the exhaust pipe and pushing it back in and clamping it long enough to pass SMOG.

But is there any relation to this error code that I know is just a code with diagnostics?

I live in the mountains and only have one place to take this beast that is now falling apart on me. Making matters worse the repair guy refuses to do anything with the California SMOG Board that will pay the bill portion above $650. I fear getting screwed again without a kiss.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

that code is related to the evap system, not the exhaust system, completely unreleated.

you need to check hoses and the charcoal cansiter (located approximately under the drivers seat) for cracks/pinholes, you may end up replacing alot of rubber hoses.

It could also be caused by a bad gas cap deal.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:07 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Thank you. That route cost me over $1,000 last year. They replaced the computer and got the Check Engine light to stay off -- but then it started all over again.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

that is a very tough one to track down, a good shop will smoke test it and check all the solenoid valves in the circuit. You CAN build your own smoke test machine if your handy(iv done it with decent success), do a google search and remember LOW LOW LOW pressure (2-3psi is PLENTY)

Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Concentrate on these two things.... emission hoses and leak detection pump.

I had that code intermittently for years. It would come and go, but I was always able to find a window in which to get the emissions done.

I got tired of the light every few months though, so I started looking at all the hoses running from under the battery tray and found a cracked hose there and on a hose that ran to the PCV valve (if I recall correctly). I never would have known the hose was split if I didn't squeeze it, so squeeze and observe as you go along. It's usually the ends that crack. I cut the split ends off with a knife and reattached with zip ties. Also looked under the truck at the hoses running to charcoal canister and those seemed okay. Well the problem lessened in frequency, but didn't entirely go away. The final fix was to replace the NVLD pump (leak detection pump), which is located underneath the truck, roughly below the drivers seat in my quad cab.

The pump was one I got from a wrecked 2009 Chrysler PT cruiser. The pump is WIDELY used across many models and years of Chrysler vehicles, so I found the latest model vehicle that had one in the junkyard and it worked. Cost me only a few bucks and not a peep out if it since. If you search on the pump in ebay, it will show you the models that it fits. There are many aftermarkets (cheap too) but I stick to OEM with these things.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-25-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 AM
krazybob
Rookie

I know I know that many of you are professionals. Some of you may not like giving advice to do-it-yourselfers. In my case I'm disabled and trying to avoid being taken advantage of. Last year it cost me just short of $2,000 to solve a smog problem only to have the check engine light come on shortly after replacing the computer.

As I posted a few days ago I found the issue seem to be that I had a leaking power steering reservoir. Or pump. I put some ATP 120 power steering additive in and it stopped the leak. The check engine light went out within a couple of hours. I should have taken it immediately and to get it smogged but I am disabled. I don't get around well.

So now the check engine light is come back on and I look in the reservoir and it looks like soupy chocolate milk. I instantly Google power steering leak for 2003 Dodge Durango 4 by 4 with a 4.7 L engine and came up with a ODB code of p0551. I contacted another mechanic in my area who says he's happy to read the codes for free. That's better than the last guy that charged me a hundred and some-odd dollars every time he tried something and when it failed to put it on the reader again and charged me again. You can see how my bill got to almost $2,000!.

but now the new but now the new guy tells me that code is only on a Dakota even though I have found it listed everywhere else that it's also on the Durango including this YouTube video that does not indicate a particular company. It shows that the code quite easily can be the power steering pressure sensor. I can understand that if I've got a soupy little mess inside the reservoir how the sensor would be reading incorrectly and causing the check engine light to come on. I'm afraid of getting taken advantage of again. I'm an older man that's disabled, I can't walk, and I can't drive all around looking for a place it's not going to rip me off.

So what's the deal? Here's the video that makes it very clear that p0551 is the power steering pressure sensor and it includes the Durango https://youtu.be/JoUKemzlfR08

Given this information how can I think anything less? I can change that sensor out myself. I can't crawl underneath to bleed the fluid out. It does concern me that it turned into a soupy chocolate milk type stuff in there but maybe that's what the ATP 120 does. You guys will know better than me on this.

Please try to think of me as your grandfather And what advice you would give to me.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Fairly generic code, basically, the PCM is seeing odd readings from the sensor. It may be a bad sensor, or, it may be a bad pump.... even the pump sucking air somewhere could possibly cause the problem......

Was there a lot of bubbles in your p/s fluid??

Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM
krazybob
Rookie

There was but the reservoir had gone dry without my knowledge. I filled it again there was but the reservoir had gone dry without my knowledge. I filled it again and it leaked out so I put the ATP 120 in and it initially showed bubbles but then diminished. No more power steering whine.

I believe that the power steering pump has a leak that was sealed by the ATP 120. I don't understand what the chocolate brown is unless it's the ATP mixed with power steering fluid. The overall point is that the repair shop states that only the Dakota has this setting in the computer even though I came across the video I posted the states without ambiguity that sodas the Durango. In fact, I have visualized the pressure sensor so I know it exists. I live on top of a mountain and have limited resources on where I can go for repair. Got this sucks.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 AM
krazybob
Rookie

I think my point has gotten lost because of too many words.

The issue is not smog related at this point. The repair shop demands that if the check engine light is on they must resolve the check engine light before they can do the smog test.

The check engine light is on because the power steering pump has a problem causing the check engine light to come on and not because smog is going to fail. It's just a way of getting more money out of me.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

find another place to do the smog test?

the pressure switch is present only on the 4.7l equipped durangos, the 5.2 and 5.9 do not have them IIRC. you havent told us which engine is in the truck (at least not that i can find).

one of the more common causes of that code is the pressure switch leaking fluid into the wire harness, this fluid can travel through the harness and affect other sensors and needs to be cleaned out to get rid of the code after replacing the switch.

Quick Reply: Failed SMOG and Exhaust Leak